Author Topic: For Doctors: Inverted Nipples?  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Cole1992

• Bronze Member
  • Got that problem off my chest :) (pun intended)
Okay, so my surgeon/doctor Dr. Davis tell me there's a 20% chance of me getting inverted nipples after surgery... is there any way to prevent this that he or I could do? If it helps any, his surgery method is that he's going to cut open the full bottom half of my nipples and take out the glandular tissue so there is less scarring. I honestly don't think this is a good surgery method, but I can't really change his mind.

Your input, doctors?

Thanks.
R.I.P. Gyno 2004-2009 :) Good Riddance. Pics here: http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww150/Cole1992/

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
It sounds like he is going to perform a typical incision around the underside of the areola to access and remove the gland tissue.  This is how it is typically done, but I don't follow to comment of doing this to prevent scar tissue.

He is possibly referring to a crater deformity of the nipples when warning about inverted nipples.  Sounds like he's just trying to alert you about any possible complication, which is prudent.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Cole1992

• Bronze Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=18057.msg125136#msg125136 date=1245116023]
It sounds like he is going to perform a typical incision around the underside of the areola to access and remove the gland tissue.  This is how it is typically done, but I don't follow to comment of doing this to prevent scar tissue.

He is possibly referring to a crater deformity of the nipples when warning about inverted nipples.  Sounds like he's just trying to alert you about any possible complication, which is prudent.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]
Yeah that's pretty much what he is saying. Is craters common for this method of removing tissue, and is there any way to avoid this? Should I ask him to remove most but not all of the glandular tissue? Thanks very much for the reply.

DrBermant

Okay, so my surgeon/doctor Dr. Davis tell me there's a 20% chance of me getting inverted nipples after surgery... is there any way to prevent this that he or I could do? If it helps any, his surgery method is that he's going to cut open the full bottom half of my nipples and take out the glandular tissue so there is less scarring. I honestly don't think this is a good surgery method, but I can't really change his mind.

Your input, doctors?

Thanks.
20%?!?!
I can treat Male Inverted Nipples with my Dynamic Technique Gynecomastia Surgery.  This is something I have never experienced as a complication for any of my many male chest surgical sculptures.  I have seen nipple inversion complications from other doctors' operations and I have done revisions for such problems.  This defect is a mini form of a Crater Deformity Complication.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If there is a large amount of gland directly under the nipple/areola, it must be thinned out in order to do the proper job.  On the other hand, it cannot be too thin or a crater deformity or nipple inversion may result.  This is the "art" of performing this surgery -- and why you should look for a surgeon experienced in performing this type of procedure.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I agree with Dr. Jacobs.  A plastic surgeon with experience in gynecomastia surgery will know how to remove the glandular tissue without leaving a crater deformity.  Once again, that's why it's really important to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon and be sure he or she has plenty of experience with this type of surgery.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline Cole1992

• Bronze Member
I agree, but he fit me into his tight schedule because I was going to fly down to Toronto to get surgery, so I basically have to do it. Should he be taking out ALL of the glandular tissue? Because that's what he said he was going to do..

DrBermant

I agree, but he fit me into his tight schedule because I was going to fly down to Toronto to get surgery, so I basically have to do it. Should he be taking out ALL of the glandular tissue? Because that's what he said he was going to do..

Doing the surgery right the first time is much better and a lot less expensive that needing a revision.

caveat emptor

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Cole1992

• Bronze Member
Well, since I'm desperate and summers around the corner, I took the chance. Got surgery about 3 hours ago. Was painless and is still painless. My bandages come off in about a week. Hopefully it'll turn out well. WISH ME LUCK  ;D

Offline Cole1992

• Bronze Member
I'll post my before and after photos up here in about a week, if my chest is looking healed enough to judge how well the surgery went.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024