Author Topic: Scar tissue or leftover gland still swollen?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
I'm currently just over 3 months post-op now. At this point, the excision scars are healing/healed up to the point where they're becoming progressively less noticeable as expected. Directly UNDER each nipple, I can feel some hard tissue.. it's basically just a little smaller than the nipples themselves but on both sides it is directly underneath and nowhere else. Basically I just want to know what exactly it is? Is it scar tissue or is it the gland tissue that was left there intentionally?

I do massage the areas whenever I get a chance.. but at this stage I just want to know what I can expect from here on out. Will this swelling go down more as time goes on? It's making each nipple protrude out a little bit and it feels very tender so I don't particularly enjoy massaging the area or putting pressure on it because it is a bit uncomfortable.

Any insight from the docs would be appreciated. I know even at 3 months I haven't yet seen the final results of my surgery.. I'm just hoping that the docs can tell me exactly what it is and if I can expect it to minimize over time so that the nipples themselves can lay flatter.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
What you are feeling is probably what we call a "healing ridge," which represents the vertical extent of the surface scar.

Relax, this is a natural part of the healing process.  It will slowly disappear -- but it may take a few more months.  Gentle massage can help -- but is not absolutely necessary.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
Thanks, Dr. Jacobs. I assume it's completely natural and a part of the healing process. I was curious as to whether I needed to massage the area regularly in order for it to go down but you've answered my question.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024