Author Topic: Marijuana/alcohol use and regrowth...  (Read 2125 times)

Offline KWS86

• Bronze Member
I am one of the many who developed my gyne between the ages of 10-12 and it never rectified itself. I am now 22, my body fat is significantly lower than it ever has been and I'm very strongly considering surgery. My gyne has never gotten any worse either (to my knowledge).

I've been a casual user of both marijuana and alcohol for several years now and like I said, have not noticed my condition change. What is the likely hood of gyne regrowth being triggered by continued use of marijauna/alcohol after the surgery has been completed? (Not directly after, but in the future)

Also, how common is regrowth of gland encountered? Do patients have chronic cases and return for revisions occasionally?

Offline DrCALOCA

• Posting Member
    • www.gynecomastiamexico.com
I agree that factors such as smoking and alcohol can contribute to breast gland growth. Nevertheless, surgical treatment for recurrence is not a possibilty when gland is resected adequaely. Gland does not grow back. The amount of gland that is left intact is usually not sufficient to cause a noticeable growth when stimulated by alcohol or Marijuana. Female hormones may increase volume significantly (patients may take them for feminization, which would obviously not be your case), but marijuana use and alcohol would be extremely rare.

The rate of revisions in general in my practice is less than 0.5% in over 300 cases. I revisions in those cases had nothing to do with alcohol or drug use.

In summary, if surgery is performed and you do not gain significant weight after surgery (increase in fat volume may increase breast gland when you gain significant weight) and you do not take female hormones, gynecomastia surgery should be a once in a lifetime experience.
Dr.Dr.Jaime Caloca Jr.
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
(619) 734-2290 -www.drcaloca.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024