Author Topic: Supplements/Drugs Post-Surgery to maximise healing process...  (Read 3535 times)

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
I'm due to have surgery on the 22nd and want to try and make sure I get all the things I'm goin to need to make sure I recover as best as I can as quickly as I can.. Right now I'm looking to probably get:

Arnica Tablets
Bromelain Capsules? Or eat lots of pinapple!
Silicone gel/patches
Vitamin E/Bio oil - are these the same thing? Or would using both be even better?

What else should I be looking to buy to make sure my post-surgery recovery is as good as it can be..? I'm also thinking about taking some protein shakes post-surgery - I presume this can't be a bad idea? It just may not make much difference? Or do you think otherwise?

Thanks!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I do prescribe Arnica for post-operative bruising and swelling.  In some patients it works wonders; in others I am not so sure.

Bromelaine (pineapple extract) is recommended for the same swelling.  No proof that it works -- but it probably isn't harmful.

Silicone gel patches and vitamin E, etc, are used/recommended by a surgeon after the initial healing period -- they help scars to heal better.  Silicone gel is used for hypertrophic (thickened) scars are various parts of the body -- it is rarely necessary for peri-areolar scars from gyne surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I'm due to have surgery on the 22nd and want to try and make sure I get all the things I'm goin to need to make sure I recover as best as I can as quickly as I can.. Right now I'm looking to probably get:

Arnica Tablets
Bromelain Capsules? Or eat lots of pinapple!
Silicone gel/patches
Vitamin E/Bio oil - are these the same thing? Or would using both be even better?

What else should I be looking to buy to make sure my post-surgery recovery is as good as it can be..? I'm also thinking about taking some protein shakes post-surgery - I presume this can't be a bad idea? It just may not make much difference? Or do you think otherwise?

Thanks!

These are questions best directed to your own doctor.

I never recommend Arnica nor Bromelain for my patients. After Gynecomastia Surgery Swelling and Bruising are much better controlled with surgical techniques.  For instance I do not believe in blind remote attempts at gland removal. I prefer to directly remove the gland and achieve control of oozing and bleeding under direct visualization, something not possible from an incision under the arm or at the side of the body.  The bruising and swelling seen on my site are typical for my patients.  However, not all doctors use the same techniques and most do not show early after surgery bruising and swelling on their own web sites. You can sometimes find such examples here or other sites where patients post their own photographs. Such over the counter herbals may be an important factor in a surgeon who needs added help to control bleeding and bruising.  That is why you need to check with your own surgeon.

After Surgery Scar Care is also better individualized for each patient by their surgeon. Waiting until such details comes from your surgeon may help save money buying the wrong or unnecessary products.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024