Author Topic: My case of gynecomastia - please advise (pics inside)  (Read 2844 times)

Offline gyneco7

• Posting Member
http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz192/gyneco7/gyne/

Would this be considered a severe case? Moderate? Would I be a decent candidate for combo gyne/lipo?  I'd like to have the surgery as soon as possible.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:36:44 PM by gyneco7 »

Offline KWS86

• Bronze Member
I'd suggest you lost a bit of weight before your surgery. You seem to be carrying a bit of excess on your torso there. Maybe drop 15 or 20 and then re-evaluate.

Offline gyneco7

• Posting Member
I'd suggest you lost a bit of weight before your surgery. You seem to be carrying a bit of excess on your torso there. Maybe drop 15 or 20 and then re-evaluate.

Thanks for the input!  Oh...I definitely have a decent spare tire going, yes!  I'm trying hard to lose at least 15 lbs.

DrBermant

http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz192/gyneco7/gyne/

Would this be considered a severe case? Moderate? Would I be a decent candidate for combo gyne/lipo?  I'd like to have the surgery as soon as possible.
Thanks!

Wearing extra fat is not healthy.  Check out your risks with a BMI Calculator (Body Mass Index)

Unfortunately, BMI does not take into account muscle mass vs. fat.  Body Fat Analyzers can help define that issue.

Plastic surgery is better after weight loss, losing weight is a coarse tool. Plastic surgery is better used for refinement.

Weight Loss, Dealing With Excess Skin of the Chest and Body is also a major emotional issue. 

We have many patients, family members, and parents who have raved how a compression garment can really help while waiting for surgery or until stabilization of a problem.  However, I have found not all compression garments work as well.

Body shaping garments are a good temporary contouring solution.  They do not help remove or treat gynecomastia.  When the garment is removed, the gynecomastia is still there.  They can provide an emotional band-aid for the stress of contour issues and bouncing tissues.

Non-Surgical Body Shaping for Gynecomastia

Check out the multiple views for each patient. Clink on the links to see other views of the garment and features of this design I prefer.  We have tried many other brands and none seem to come close to what this one offers.

Rate My Gynecomastia - is a frequent question.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to distinguish just what is causing the problem.  Gynecomastia male breasts can be fat, gland, or most commonly a combination of both.  Sometimes skin and sagging tissues can be a factor.  Pseudo Gynecomastia Pseudogynecomastia) is supposed to be fat only gynecomastia.  The problem with that "classification" is that in almost every case of gynecomastia I have seen there is some component of gland.  This gland can be very small, but it is present almost all the time.  So do you have Pseudo gynecomastia when there is a 1%, 10%, 50%, or 90% deformity from fat?  Reality just does not work that way.

Defining the problem with photographs sometimes can help.  However, it is impossible to tell from photographs if the deformity is from fat or gland. The dynamic images, of my standard set of images can show a region that compresses differently.  Even clinical examination differentiation can be difficult.

Fat tends to be soft, gland tends to be firm.  Fingers of gland often dissect between fingers of fat.  Look at this drawing and move your mouse over the arrows.  However, gland can be soft and fat firm confusing the picture.  Gland tends to be located under the nipple and pinching pressure can sometimes tether to the nipple pulling it in.

Men with excessive fat do tend to have certain contour issues.  Check out this link about Sumo Wrestlers.  Men tend to carry excessive weight in their chest and stomach.

Losing weight first, to something you are comfortable with and can maintain is typically a much better option.  Weight loss is a coarse tool.  Unfortunately, you cannot pick where weight comes from - nor can you pick where weight goes back on to.  Gland that contributes to the breast shape is not helped with weight loss.  Fingers of fat in the gland can become smaller, but the contour problem from gland does not go away.  After losing weight plastic surgery can help with localized fat, gland, and extra skin.  After surgery remaining fat cells can put on more weight.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024