Author Topic: Sleeping on Stomach  (Read 14559 times)

Offline 90293

• Posting Member
I am curious at what point can you sleep on your stomach?

I am 10 days post op and I am getting pretty tired of using pillows to force myself to sleep on my back. Also, despite the pillows I seem to end up on my side in the morning. My swelling has been minimum and the last thing I want to do is to agrevate the swelling or give myself a hematomia by sleeping on my stomach, but I get my best sleep on my stomach.

Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The reason that doctors recommend sleeping on your back is so that there is no uneven pressure placed upon your newly operated chest.  If you sleep on your stomach (actually its 3/4 on your side), then there is more pressure on one side of your chest and less pressure on the other side.  When you wake up, you will probably be uneven -- and that might possibly affect the final result.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline 90293

• Posting Member
Thank you for the reply. How long do you typically tell patients to sleep in their back for?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Best is for three weeks or more -- but we are all human, and sometimes we will turn over on our sides.  Don't worry, it will even out over time.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

I am curious at what point can you sleep on your stomach?

I am 10 days post op and I am getting pretty tired of using pillows to force myself to sleep on my back. Also, despite the pillows I seem to end up on my side in the morning. My swelling has been minimum and the last thing I want to do is to agrevate the swelling or give myself a hematomia by sleeping on my stomach, but I get my best sleep on my stomach.

Thank you.

Such issues are best directed to your own surgeon who should have his or her own methods and reasons.

Peak swelling after gynecomastia surgery for my sculpture is typically in the operating room. Such optimization is not just my surgical technique, but also patient education. That is how I can show such early after surgery pictures.

I prefer to individualize my patients' education based on the extent of surgery and many other factors. In general, I advise my patients that comfort is Nature's way of telling you what you can and cannot do. Protecting healing tissues is a great way to quicken healing. Abusing the recovering tissues can result in new injury, swelling, and slow recovery.

Sleeping on the stomach does 2 things, you are stressing the sculpture and most belly sleepers extend their arms over head. The side of the body has the lateral component of the sculpture and recovering healing nerves. The shearing forces of rolling over and putting the structures under tension by extending arms will cause discomfort. For my patients their Comfort after Gynecomastia Surgery is such that although we give each patient a prescription for strong pain medication, patients typically tell us that plain Tylenol is more than enough for comfort. By not needing the heavier pain medication permits the body's sensation to let them know when they can perform an activity. So when not obscured by medication and the activity is comfortable, then I advise my patients that they can try that activity. If no discomfort and no new swelling, then their body was adequately healed and ready to progress.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
It takes three weeks for the skin to begin to heal down to the underlying muscle.  Prior to that time, it is possible for fluid to accumulate and slow down the healing process.  For this reason, we strongly recommend compression and avoiding uneven pressure to the chest. 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024