Author Topic: Seroma or Loose skin ? pics included  (Read 4244 times)

Offline devd3678

• Posting Member
I had my gyne surgery 8 weeks ago. Sadly didn't get the results that i was expecting. Both areola are deformed. Also the left one is drooping with the skin on the side. My surgeon says its still healing and to continue wearing the vest. I would like a opinion on what this is and will it resolve itself. Is it seroma or just loose skin? Also the left side is significantly larger than the right and it hurts if i keep the vest off even for a few minutes. Would like to hear from a doctor on the forum. Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately, it is difficult to judge just from the one photo.  In this circumstance, only a hands-on physical exam can tell you what is going on.

Might suggest returning to your surgeon and perhaps soliciting an opinion from another surgeon -- it would be worth the cost of a consultation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline devd3678

• Posting Member
Thank you for the reply. My surgeon told me that it is loose skin and will need revision. I am now 2 months post op and still the left side swells up and hurts like during the initial days of post op. Right side has completely healed. The surgeon told me to wear the vest for another month. I am starting to think that this pain is not going to go away. Is it normal for feel pain in the chest after 2 months post op?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You may have had some bleeding on the left side, not enough to require intervention, but enough to cause prolonged swelling and pain. If that's the problem, it should resolve over time with massage and patience, but it sounds like there may be other issues as well, in which case I would echo Dr. Jacobs and suggest a second opinion by someone who can examine you personally.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline devd3678

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply. Had a consultation with another surgeon who only suggested to continue wearing the compression vest and prescribed some painkillers. The skin and areola on the left side are still tender like initial days of post op. The skin has become loose, folds down not sticking to underlying muscle and feels lifeless as a result of the constant swelling. The areola swells up if i remove the vest. Will this skin tighten over time because i want to avoid a revision at all cost. i just want the pain to go away as it has become difficult to concentrate on work with the constant pain. Also the surgeon told me to start with my routine exercise. I am afraid to do so as this will only cause more swelling and pain.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:59:36 AM by devd3678 »

Offline devd3678

• Posting Member
Its been 2 and 1/2 months and still i am having burning pain on the left side. There is a hard mass under the areola and the areola swells up. Every time it swells up the skin becomes even more loose. The skin on the areola has expanded to more than the pre op size. The surgeon says the scar tissue is preventing the nerves from healing and doing a revision to remove it will only cause more scar tissue. The hardness goes away with the compression garment. I would like to know is how long will it take for the pain and swelling to heal and will it help if i continue wearing the vest. Would really appreciate any reply from the docs on the forum.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:40:33 PM by devd3678 »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024