Author Topic: Is this Gyno? And how bad is it?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline anonymousperson0123

I truly believe that I have gynecomastia. I am 17 years old and I am not overwieght at all, and i have very puffy nipples and what feels like hard rings around my nipples.
I do not have medical insurance to get this checked out, and I have never told anyone that I have this condition(I havent went swimming or removed my shirt in public in since i was 13 years old). If i did tell my family, i most certainly would be ridiculed and made fun of, and not helped in anyway.

So im concerned with my options. If I were to get insurance soon, would surgery be covered (especially if I told them of the psychological damage as well as physical pain caused by this condition)? Is there some other form of treatment? Or is my case not bad enough that I should just deal with it? (personally i feel like it is a big deal, and has caused me to especially alienate girls because i do not want to take my shirt off)

So could someone take a look at these pictures and rate my condition(if one exists) on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being a severe case.
(Also, as you will see, when i irritate my nipples or it is cold, they appear normal...what does that mean?)

thank you

Offline balalayka

• Silver Member
the truth is , this is a very very mild case. I would rate it as 1, 0.5 if you allow the scale to go below 1 that is :D

It also does not matter whether it is mild or not, it is how it affects you. It's obvious that it is affecting your life. I would say try to get the surgery done and get on with your life.

Offline anonymousperson0123

maybe the bad quality makes it seem mild. or maybe(probably) it is just me telling myself it is really bad

honestly surgery is NOT an option unless it would be covered by medical insurance (insurance we do not even have)

so, i guess i would have to deal with it?
how should i go about adjusting myself to being comfortable in public, or even around my own family?

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
You have to remember, the main thing people see when they look at someone is the overall picture.  If someone were to look at your overall physique, they will see a good one....and yes, EVEN with your shirt off.  So THAT will be their first impression, not just your nipples.  They aren't that noticeable to tell you the truth.  In the pool, just stay under water where they can't be seen.  If it really bothers you that much, put your shirt on as soon as you get out of the pool. 

As I understand it, insurance typically doesn't cover gynecomastia surgery because most of the time the insurance company considers it a completely cosmetic (not a medical) procedure.  However, that's not always true.  If pain or other medical problems are associated with the condition, they might pay if there is medical necessity. 

But for you, this doesn't matter because you don't have insurance anyway. 

Gynecomastia typically goes away in adolescent boys within 3 years.  But at 17, you may be outside that window now and what you see may be what you're going to have.  If the condition continues to bother you or worsens, the only thing to do is try to save up the money for the surgery.  Surgery could cost up to $6,000, maybe less, depending on the procedures.  Your main problem appears to be your nipples only, so that might be cheaper. 

Offline balalayka

• Silver Member
I agree with the above. You do not look bad at all (my rating was 0.5 ). I see people with nipples like you all the time at the swimming pool. You see the thing is, till you can afford to get surgery, you have to learn to live with it. Don't let it stop you from doing what you want. It's difficult but you will eventually get there. I hate my condition a lot and also cannot afford surgery right now, however, I go swimming at least 2 times per week. I learned not to let it interfere. Good luck.

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
it's not bad and noticeable at all. since you're only 17, it may go away on its own. just be patient.
mine is by far worse than yours. i will have surgery in a few months. but meanwhile, i'm enjoying my summer and pool time and try not to care about what people (may) think. (believe me, many many people out there have no idea about the issue).
for instance, i went to Vegas this past hot weekend and was at the hotel's pool for many hours. some people were looking at my moobs and this one guy (with gyno lipo surgery scars!!) were staring right at them. but you know what, i thought to my self, i'm here to enjoy myself, i'm not their eye candy and not gonna see them in my life again, so who cares about them.

but if you really want to impress people with your body, hit the gym and make your 6 pack focal point and let everybody be distracted with your abs and don't even look at your chest.

Offline **Gynefor**

• 37 yo - 184 cm - 82 kg
I agree with everyone

Offline Ethanel

I just only want to tell you one thing that illness is not human made. it is from God and we should not feel shyness or inferiority complex etc etc......
Be confident and take care of your self.
thanks

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
you have a nice body.. how much do you weigh and how tall are you? just asking 'coz im kinda jealous with ur awesome bod man..

your case is very mild i guess.. can you still wear any muscle semi fitted shirt you want??

Offline pokeweed

• Posting Member
I'm with everyone else. I think you look great! You physique is what most of us hope for AFTER surgery! But again, it's what's going on in your head that matters. Hopefully all of this encouragement will help you see yourself in a different light. You look fit to me!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024