Author Topic: Best Gyno Surgeon? And Marijuana Question.  (Read 3840 times)

Offline absec9

• Posting Member
Hey guys,

I've been on this site about 6 months now?  I dunno, something like that.

Anyway, who are the better surgeons out there??  I need some help and advice.  I am going to get some consultations asap.  I have had enough.

Also, my gyno has been growing for about a year.  Will the use of marijuana make it worse?

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
Their are no proven studies that marijuana causes gyno or worsens it and its a very debatable subject. Most marijuana smokers I know have completely flat chests but its up to you. The majority of gyno is caused by hormone imbalance during puberty or later in off and steroids.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Re use of marijuana.  Since it is basically an illegal substance, it is obviously very difficult to perform a proper medical study or survey.  Hence, there is no proof, one way or another, about its involvement with gyne.  Certainly there are a large number of men who use marijuana and a large number of men with gyne.  Connecting the two as to cause and effect, however, is not known.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hey guys,

I've been on this site about 6 months now?  I dunno, something like that.

Anyway, who are the better surgeons out there??  I need some help and advice.  I am going to get some consultations asap.  I have had enough.

Also, my gyno has been growing for about a year.  Will the use of marijuana make it worse?

Although there are no decent studies about gynecomastia and marijuana, I have seen patients who told me that their smoking of pot caused breast tenderness and growth. Stopping the use of the drug stopped the tenderness and growth. Resuming started the growth and symptoms again. For such individuals there is probably a connection. For the many other patients who have told me they smoked marijuana, almost all said they had no breast growth nor tenderness during use.

Surgery does not stop gynecomastia growth and is better done on a stable condition. When Drugs Causing Gynecomastia or Medical Problems That Cause Gynecomastia are not stabilized, recurrence happens. Shreds of gland remain after any gynecomastia surgery. There are fingers of gland that extend between fingers of fat as you can see in this Anatomy of Gynecomastia.

So the first step is an evaluation into why the breasts are growing, not surgery.

I have posted here in this forum how to pick a gynecomastia surgeon:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16474.0

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline thewiz

• Posting Member
Docs,

What do you guys think about the use of marijuana post-op (assuming you are 4+ weeks post-op)?

I used marijuana prior to my surgery but I am not certain it is the cause of it. I'm sure the professional answer would be to try and avoid it at all cost (considering you have just spend thousands of dollars on surgery). Will the use of marijuana every now and then really affect your case of gyne, even after surgery?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024