Author Topic: Great Results with Lipo Only  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Island Guy

• Posting Member
I've been lurking here for months getting info and thought I'd contribute now that I've had my surgery.

I'm 54 years old and the boobs started in my early twenties. Diet and exercise did nothing to get rid of them, though I need to lose the holiday belly fat, which I will do once I get back to exercising. I told my surgeon that I didn't want the half round scar under the nipple so excision of tissue/gland was out of the question. He told me that most men have a combination of fat and gland and that lipo only would help but depending on the fat vs tissue/gland percentage I may be disappointed in the results. His words were "with lipo only we may only hit a single or a double vs a homerun with the excision/lipo option" I paid $2900 ($1450 per boob LOL) and was completely ready for whatever the outcome may be, even disappointment. Well, I and my surgeon were very pleasantly surprised at my results. As he said after the surgery , "that's pretty damn close to a homerun" Recovery has been a piece of cake. Had the lipo done on 1/14. Here at day 6, I'm limiting my activities only because I know I should ,  not because of pain. Bruising is minor. Although my chest isn't perfect it's at least 95% better than it was and the best it's been in over 30 years.   I'm thrilled to be rid of those puppies!! Stopped wearing some of my shirts because they showed too much boob. Today I  tried some of those on again. Can't stop smiling.

I'll keep this thread updated and will answer any questions. Posted the before pics in this post and the after pics in the next post   

Offline Island Guy

• Posting Member
After pics taken the day after surgery. Some swelling already present.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your experience is not surprising.

It has been my experience that older men can have lipo only surgery and obtain a reasonably good result. 

There are cases, however, when after the lipo, excision is really necessary.  That is why I always go into surgery with the approval of the patient to do anything necessary to get the very best result possible -- even if it means to do an excision as well.  And the scar around the edge of the areola is barely visible -- particularly in older men.

Congratulations on your successful surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
Looks very good, congrats

Offline Island Guy

• Posting Member
Thank you for the compliments.

The reason I was so adament about not having the excision done was because my body has a history of scars becoming hypertrophic even on areas of the body where hypertrophic scars are rare. I know hypertrophic scars can be "fixed" surgically or with kenalog injections but they never seem to look as good as a scar that never became hypertrophic in the first place. And, living here in South Florida it's not uncommon to be shirtless for outside activities for 10 months/yr, which means I couldn't wait for the hypertrophic scars and the treatment of them to run their course and still conceal the fact that I had this done.   

Offline Island Guy

• Posting Member
2 Week update.....Almost all bruising is gone. No pain during any movements , however I feel a little tightness when reaching over my head. Chest measurement before surgery was 45 1/4. Day after surgery was 43 1/2. Measurement today (2 weeks out) is a bit less than 43 so swelling has come down. Nipples and immediate area around them are still numb. Still sore in spots but nothing I'd call pain. Getting REAL tired of this damn binder!

Todays pics.....

Offline Island Guy

• Posting Member
Went to the surgeon at day 18 for another check-up. He told me that since the bruising and swelling was so minimal, I could stop wearing the vest, but said if I notice any swelling to go back to it again on a limited basis. I was very happy to throw the vest in the corner and go about the next couple of days binderless. However after alot of physical activity on those days without the vest I noticed some swelling just below the right nipple. It's not a lot of swelling but in an area that makes the contour of right side look a little breast-like. So I'm back to the vest when being very physical and that is keeping the swelling in check. While I'm disappointed in having to wear the vest again, I'll do anything to make sure it doesn't look like a boob again.

Yesterday, 22 days after surgery, I went to the beach with some friends.(binderless of course) It was great not having my boobs out there for everyone to see, but was a bit worried about what I would tell my friends if they asked about my lack of boobs. These are the kind of friends that don't hold back saying anything on their minds and they didn't say a word. The difference as you can see in my pics, was fairly drastic, so this tells me that I probably made more of a big deal out of my boobs than anyone else did and that friends/acquaintences don't notice as much as you think they do.   

Offline estate1

• Posting Member
Thank-you for sharing your story and pics. Gives me hope... I am turning 60 and about 25 lbs overweight. I am 6'3 240lbs..mostly belly fat/love handles..but a bunch of man boob fat that extends to under arms etc. I plan to see Dr. Frank Lista in Canada in a few months.
My question is with skin tightness after surgery. Your pics indicate that your elasticity was good and there is no visible 'hanging or loose skin" after the procedure. How much exercise and dieting did you do before surgery? Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Anyone who is or has been overweight will have some diminished skin elasticity.  This is similar to a rubber band that has been stretched for a long time -- it never regains its initial status.

In addition, age results in inexorable deterioration of elasticity.  And excess sun exposure can do further damage too.

As I say to all my patients, the skin will tighten somewhat after surgery -- but one cannot predict exactly how much it will tighten.  Surgery, of course, can remove all the excess tissue under the skin.

Thus, one has to be realistic in one's goals.  The surgery can substantially reduce the gyne and the skin should tighten somewhat.  What results may be a nice taut chest -- or something a little less, ie with a retained fold under the chest.  But this fold does look natural! 

If one is looking for a contoured chest with tight skin, then a skin tightening procedure (with additional scarring) may be indicated -- either at the same time or at a later date -- but this is up to a discussion with you and your surgeon.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Offline Island Guy

• Posting Member
estate1... I don't have any loose or hanging skin but I don't have the tight skin on my chest that someone much younger would probably have after this procedure. There is a slight wrinkle to my skin now in that area and a small but natural fold under the nipple as Dr Jacobs stated. My surgeon thinks the skin will retract more in the next few weeks. I will gladly take the slight skin defects over what I had before. At my age, my body is far from perfect, so a few wrinkles don't bother me a bit.

Since my surgery was just after the holidays I wasn't in as good of shape as I normally am due to excess holiday eating and drinking. So to answer your question, not much diet & exercise beforehand.

Good luck with your upcoming consultation.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024