Author Topic: A little worried.  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Grant1000

I understand that it is very difficult to give information or advice over a blog but I am very worried about a lump that I have found next to my nipple.

I live abroad in Korea and can speak a little Korean but when it comes to the doctor it can be a little challenging when they don't know much English.

I found a lump about a month ago and it is slightly sore to the touch. It isn't going away or getting much bigger. They're are no other symptoms.

Usually when I am sick I look on the web and find some kind of answer but this doesn't really point to anything. I went to the doctor and he said that it's probably gynecomastia. I remember having this when I was around 12 or 13 and it went away. I am 27 now and it doesn't feel like the same thing.

I have been reading a lot of blogs and advice and they all say that it is either gynecomastia or male breast cancer, however the later is extremely unlikely. Nonetheless, I am still worried that it is something serious.

Is there anything else it could be? I was hoping that it would be something like a swollen lymph node that has been infected and antibiotics would clear it up. Are there any other things that it could be?

I will be going back to doctor and get a second opinion but just wondered if anyone could give me other options on possible causes of a lump next to/under a nipple. It would maybe put my mind at ease.

Thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are correct -- male breast cancer at age 27 is virtually unheard of.

And there are no lymph nodes in the breast.  But there are other tissues -- breast tissue, connective tissue, fat tissue, etc.  Any of these can produce a cyst, a tumor, etc -- rare but possible.

Would recommend you consult with a breast surgeon to try to get a diagnosis.  Some tests might be in order.

And finally, it could well be gyne.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024