Author Topic: Can breast tissue recur after surgery?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
I simply want an expert's opinion to find out if breast tissue can re-grow after it's been surgically removed?

I had a successful breast-reduction operation in April. I'm a heavy drinker, and since the operation I've been drinking significant quantities of alcohol. I'm aware that alcohol can cause breast growth in men and I'm worried that some breast tissue might be growing back. It does appear as though my breasts have started growing back slightly, especially the area around the areola, but I'm not sure if this is because I've generally gained weight recently or whether it's due to actual recurrence of breast tissue.

As you can understand I'm pretty worried, so any professional advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Obviously, alcohol in excess is not good for you.  However, its relationship to gyne is that alcohol can damage the liver.  And the liver detoxifies chemicals in the blood, including estrogens.  With a faulty liver, estrogens can build up and then stimulate your breast tissue to grow, thereby causing gyne.  As you can see, you really have to have fairly advanced liver disease for it to cause gyne.

What you are describing is, in all likelihood, not re-growth of breast tissue but scar tissue.  It would be wise to return to your surgeon for evaluation.  If it is scar tissue, then one might consider a cortisone injection to settle it down.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
Thank you for the reply Dr. Jacobs.

The substance underneath and around the areola feels kind of squishy and bouncy; almost fluid-like. When I put a finger on the nipple and push it in, the finger travels nearly an inch before stopping against the pectoral muscle. Obviously there's a considerable amount of material under there and that's what's concerning me.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I cannot answer for what you are feeling.  Even my experienced hands can be uncertain as to what I am feeling.

Best advice:  return to your surgeon for evaluation.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024