Author Topic: Folks that have had a doctor recommend they wear a bra  (Read 17972 times)

Offline Chicago

• Silver Member
Just wondering, does the advice change based on the gender of the doctor? 

So, for those that had a doctor recommend wearing a bra (either as a temporary remedy or as an alternative to surgery), was the doc a male or female?

thanks.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I was a Medic in the USAF many years ago. The Doctor was a man and a friend with whom I was stationed. He also had Gynecomastia. His suggestion was that a bra might give comfortable support when I was engaged in strenuous activities. He was right.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Chicago

• Silver Member
Thanks for the reply (and first one).

It makes sense that if he had experience with it too, that he'd be more understanding.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if a doctor who has used a bra might be more upfront about recommending one.

Offline Bobcat54

• Posting Member
I was refered to a surgeon (male) by my GP. He gave two straight forward options, surgery or wear a bra. I opted for option #2 and asked for advice. He told me that would depend on the amout of support I required for the level of activiity at the time. In otherwords, trial and error.
My SO (at the time) measured me and bought me a couple to test drive.

Offline Chicago

• Silver Member

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
Bobcat, it sounds as if the doctor made his recommnedation based upon the size of your breasts.  How old were you when he made the recommendation for surgery or a bra and what is your bra size? 

Offline Bobcat54

• Posting Member
I was 38 when the doctor suggestd a bra. I measured 36B. I am now over 60 and wear a 38C or D daily. Just another item of clothing after all these years.

Offline Chicago

• Silver Member
I am secure with my body but I do wonder about how noticeable things are to others. Sometimes I wonder why my doctor never has mentioned my chest and other times I realize it must not be a big deal if she isn't naturally concerned. And if she's not concerned, I dont feel like bringing it up, either.

The good part of this forum for me has really been knowing that its not a disease or something that will cause real health problems. My wife tells me all the time she'd rather my chest be larger than have something like a beer belly. Thats enough for me.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Our condition is so common that it may not even be noted on a physical exam. The gender of the Dr. is not likely to change that.

Offline beachlovermx

• Posting Member
Mine is a female, but not really recomended but I tol her I wear a bra beacause of the size of my brasts and she asked me ro take my shirt off and ordered an ultrasound to cnfirm my Gyne, and hen she sid it ws Ok wearing a bra.

Offline Sarik

Doctor was female. I was 17 years old  :-[ :-[.

Offline Chicago

• Silver Member

Offline walt

• Gold Member
both my GP and ENDO are both female , it was my GP that recomended a bra and my ENDO agreed as well, i do wear a medium support sports bra by Danskin works well and can be concealed easily.

Offline Chicago

• Silver Member
both my GP and ENDO are both female , it was my GP that recomended a bra and my ENDO agreed as well, i do wear a medium support sports bra by Danskin works well and can be concealed easily.

Even if the gender of the doctor doesnt matter to the recommendation, I do wonder if female professionals are more empathic about the suggestion...

Offline walt

• Gold Member
as far as gender and being sympathetic in my opinion yes it makes a differance , as my endo does a full breast exam whenever i go to her.makes me feel better that a doc actually cares enough .

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024