Author Topic: Surgery yesterday for 13 year old son  (Read 4690 times)

Offline dussaghun

• Posting Member
I found this site about six months ago when I was researching everything I could find on Gynecomastia.  This site and the articles have been a life saver for me, a mother of a 13 year old with severe gynecomastia.  Thank you all for posting your experiences and tips that you have dealt with.  Thank you doctors for answering questions and giving information!!  I have not posted before but it is time.

My son has had gynecomastia since about age 10.  It had gotten worse over the last three years.  I did not know to what extent because he would never show us or go without a shirt or walk with his shoulders back or wear comfortable clothes in the Mississippi heat.  He always wore jackets or hoodies.  He always asked what we were going to do about " his problem" .  I finally told him for me to be able to help him, he was going to have to show me.  He took his shirt off and showed me.  My heart sunk! I did not let him see how I felt and thanked him for showing me.  He left and I closed my bathroom door and cried my eyes out!  I called my husband and told him and he told me we would do what ever it takes to help him.  ( I did not mention I had taken him to a doctor over a year ago and he said it would go away).

I started researching everything I could find on the subject, all doctors, all treatments, everything I could find. We had his hormones tested, everything was normal.  We decided on surgery!  To give him a chance at a normal teenage experience!   I searched every surgeon I could.  We decided on one and got the ball rolling.

My son had the surgery yesterday.  He did great!  I was scared!  He or none of my older kids has every had general anestheia and I was not sure how he would do,  He did fantastic!   He did great overall!  He just wanted it so bad!  He thanked his dad and me in recovery and said thanks for letting me have this done.  We got our first look and it looked fantastic!  We all cried!   I know it is early but we could not be happier!  He had a good night and is not hurting to bad this morning!

We traveled a great distance to have his surgery and we are very happy with the care we received!

My husband has been changing his drains and we have to put a towel over my son's eyes because he has vasovagel and tends to pass out at the site of blood or needles!

If there are any parents out there and you are on the fence as of what to do, Do it!  I will be happy to answer any questions!

Airplane tickets $1,500.00
Hotel.  $750.00
Rental car $ 250.00
Surgery. $$$$$$$
Happy, healthy teenage son.  PRICELESS!!!!!!

Offline pancakes

• Posting Member
Great story. I wish my parents were like you when I was your sons age.

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
Great story, you're the type of parents I aspire to be. Unfortunatley my parents are divorced, my dads an abusive alcoholic and it took my mom months of talking to for her to make a consultation with a plastic surgeon.  >:(  Hopefully your son's recovery goes well and he has a normal adolecense. Congrats  ;D

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
An inspiring story and one that should be read by all teens with gyne and their parents.

I have been operating on youngsters from age 12 and up for their gyne for many years.. To date, none of my patients have had a recurrence of their gyne and all have had a substantial improvement in their self esteem as well as their chest.

Congratulations to intelligent and understanding parents -- your son will now be spared the years of torment and embarrassment that many here on this site have experienced. 

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline dussaghun

• Posting Member
Just an update!  My son had his drains removed today.  There was some discomfort when the drains were removed but overall he did fantastic!  I would just like to tell everyone considering Gynecomastia surgery we have no regrets.  He has done so much better than I would have imagined.  The results look amazing! Virtually no swelling and just some brusing but not bad at all.  I will tell you the results are dramatic. He went from being a b maybe close to a c cup and now he is totally flat.  The skin has reattached very well.  I was expecting less so because doctor said he may have some lax skin and probably would because he was so large and skin was stretched.I think the dramatic results maybe because he is so young and the skin has more elasticity then someone older.   I am not sure what his final results will be, but I can say that it will be better than where we started.  I know it is early and trust me, i have read every post on this site, he could have swelling or scar tissue or other issues we may have to deal with but I would still do the surgery. 

My son is a strong young man!  He has not complained once since surgery. 

For all of you who want or need this done, I hope you find away!  I would not wish this condition on anyone but know this, there is a way to correct it.  This is my new car!  We were saving to get one but I would not have spent the money any other way!  Thank you for all your kind words! 

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
You guys are some pretty fantastic parents!  I hope your son knows how lucky he is (I'm quite sure he does!  ;)).  I remember when my wife and I were expecting our first child.  I was so excited, but worried at the same time.  Gynecomastia is a hereditary trait in my family.  My father, older brother and I all have it, so I was terrified that if we had a boy, he would almost certainly have the condition as well.  I wished for a girl so she would not have to deal with this emotional turmoil (hey, maybe it may even HELP her right? Haha!)  Anyways, we were indeed blessed with a beautiful baby girl (she is 7 now).  If we had a boy, I would most certainly have done the same thing both of you did as parents.  Knowning exactly how he would feel growing up dealing with gynecomastia, I would have gladly paid any amount to save him the embarrassment of dealing with this in his formative teenage years.  Bravo to you!
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline Lefty1984

You have just won mom of the year for this one. I've just had my G done on Dec 8th and I have no regrets for having it done. The pain wasn't too bad and who cares about scars when your dealing with G. I'm 26 and have had G since I was 13 and I refused the surgery at that time because I was scared. Looking back on it now I wish I would have done it sooner so I applaud your son for having the courage to go through with it and I'm sure the results will be phenomenal

Offline dussaghun

• Posting Member
Thank you all!  We flew home yesterday ( to Mississippi ) and my son handled it like a trooper.  It was long flights.  The first leg was four hours, the second part almost two hour flight and a then a two hour drive home from Birmingham, Alabama to our home.  One tip I will give, that we did not think through, is the patient can not lift or carry luggage on the return home trip.  We really didn't think about this, we all packed carry-ons and back-packs with laptops.  When my husband had to go turn in the rental car that left me lugging all the bags at one point in the airport.  Also, be sure to have some food with you.  We almost missed our connection flight and did not have time to get food.  Fortunately, I had a pack of peanut butter and cheese crackers( we call them Nabs in the South ) in my purse that my son could eat.  You have to have something in your stomach when you take your meds.  I will be glad to answer any questions or concerns anyone may have if they are considering surgery.

Offline masked_1

• Bronze Member
WOW you are an incredible mom! That is one of the best stories i have read. I want you to know how much shame, embarrassment and teasing you have saved from happening. Im 26 and literally dropped out of high school because of my gynecomastia. my freshmen year was hell and I didn't make it past sophomore year due to constant teasing. to make matters worse i looked like your average F**k up because i was always ditching school when in reality I was a good kid with a big heart that had boobs so I was just rebelling and trying to hide. I could never talk to family or friends because it was to shameful. My very first year of high school on my very first day and first class was........SWIMMING! are you kidding me?  :( wow i wanted to die when i looked at my schedule. I ditched every day and never once went to class so that began the downward spiral of my young life. thankfully I have a good job now and a family that i love and supports me. I am waiting for a call from my surgeon anytime to schedule a date! Good luck to you and your son. I know for a fact that he appreciates you helping him through what i will always say was the hardest thing for me to ever come to terms with. You sound like an amazing lady and I just wanted to take the time to tell you. your son will live a great young life with no insecurities about gyne and that is so awesome!

Offline dussaghun

• Posting Member
WOW you are an incredible mom! That is one of the best stories i have read. I want you to know how much shame, embarrassment and teasing you have saved from happening. Im 26 and literally dropped out of high school because of my gynecomastia. my freshmen year was hell and I didn't make it past sophomore year due to constant teasing. to make matters worse i looked like your average F**k up because i was always ditching school when in reality I was a good kid with a big heart that had boobs so I was just rebelling and trying to hide. I could never talk to family or friends because it was to shameful. My very first year of high school on my very first day and first class was........SWIMMING! are you kidding me?  :( wow i wanted to die when i looked at my schedule. I ditched every day and never once went to class so that began the downward spiral of my young life. thankfully I have a good job now and a family that i love and supports me. I am waiting for a call from my surgeon anytime to schedule a date! Good luck to you and your son. I know for a fact that he appreciates you helping him through what i will always say was the hardest thing for me to ever come to terms with. You sound like an amazing lady and I just wanted to take the time to tell you. your son will live a great young life with no insecurities about gyne and that is so awesome!

I am sorry for your pain.  I can only imagine what it must be like to have to live with Gynecomastia.  I also know how hard it is to talk to your family about the condition.  It took my son for every to let  me see his chest so I would know where to start.  He is 3 weeks post op now and doing great!  Looks good.  He started back to school Wednesday after Christmas break and I had a teacher email me today ( I teach in the high school and he is in middle school) and she told me what a difference in his attitude!  She said he is walking taller and much more confident in all he does.  I would do the surgery Again in a heartbeat!  My sincere hope is you find peace  if that be by surgey or not!  good luck! You are not alone!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024