Author Topic: Would surgery "improve" my chest apperance? UPDATE: Consultation tomorrow  (Read 3055 times)

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
I've been debating whether or not surgery would really improve the look of my chest. I know it would help the way I feel with a shirt on but since I have Pectus Excavatum if I had surgery on for gynecomastia it would only make the effects of PE - pot belly - look worse in my opinion.

I know it doesn't look that bad with photos but it just bothers me that there's excess breast tissue around my nipple and on my chest that it's become an obsession. However, I hope to move passed this with or without surgery but will need help.

Life is more than your appearance. Just wish I believe it all the time! It's just very frustrating to know whatever you may do in the gym will never satisfy the way you want to look. It's just hard to overcome. Also the way my chest sticks on wearing t-shirts is another "hurdle" for ME. Obviously in the grand scheme of things this is a very small isignificant problem. I've been told by members here to just go out and enjoy my life, and that would help me push forward for weeks and months, only to return to this obsession when I try on a shirt or work out at the gym and realize my body doesn't change the way I want.

Sorry for the rant.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:54:06 PM by hitchcock »

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
some more. told you I was obsessed!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:12:00 PM by hitchcock »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The posture observed in several of the photos is such that the breasts are exaggerated. Pictures in a more normal erect posture might tell more.

The exaggerated postures make me think that there might not be a serious problem.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
When someone has pectus excavatum (an indentation of the breastbone or sternum), it will exaggerate the adjacent chest. Some women have pectus excavatum and actually like it (if it isn't too bad) because it actually accentuates their cleavage.

You seem to have a mild pectus excavatum and it is difficult to ascertain if you have any gyne.

There is available surgical treatment for pectus excavatum, but it is done by thoracic (chest) surgeons, not plastic surgeons.  It may be that the pectus is more the culprit for you than any gyne -- and then you should get an opinion on possible pectus surgery.  After learning all the facts, you obviously have the option to just live with it.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
I would have to do more research but the Nuss Procedure is something that I'm not interested at the moment. Sounds painful and I don't like the idea of having medal bards placed inside me! On the other hand, I have a feeling that male breast reduction surgery would leave me unsatisfied because of the PE, although I'm just speculating.

Thanks for your replies. Just wish I had an idea which direction to turn.

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
I have a consultation with a local plastic surgeon who has operated on at least two (former) members from gynecomastia.org. We'll see what he says. I guess it's one of those things where you need physically examine the chest.

Anyone else?

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
Have my consultation tomorrow night. Definitely interested to see what the PS says. The more I work out and now that I've been taking zoloft, I definitely feel puffiness underneath my nipple in addition to excess tissue, but I guess it's hard to see with photos.

I also want to copy so questions I plan to ask the PS. This is from the MayoClinic web site:

Am I a good candidate for this procedure? Why or why not?
   Are there treatments other than surgery that might work just as well or better for me?
   How many times have you done this procedure? What were the results?
   Can you share photos or diagrams to help me understand the procedure and the expected results?
   Can the desired effect be accomplished in one procedure, or do you anticipate multiple procedures?
   What are the specific surgical options? What are the pros and cons for each?
   What type of anesthetic will be used? How will it affect me?
   Will I be hospitalized? If so, for how long?
   What are the possible complications?
   How will my progress be monitored after surgery? What follow-up care will I receive?
   How much will the procedure cost?
   How often is "touch-up" surgery needed? Is it covered in the cost estimate?

Here are some more, probably with some duplicates:

Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons?
Are you a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or the American Society or Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?
Do you have hospital privileges to perform this procedure? If so, at which hospitals?
What will be expected of me to get the best results?
When and how will you perform my procedure?
What surgical techniques is recommended for me?
How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
How are complications handled?
What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the outcome of my surgery?
Before and after photos I can look at for this procedure and what results are reasonable for me?
Is the office-based surgical facility accredited by a nationally-or-state recognized accrediting agency, or is it state-licensed or Medicare-certified?

Am i missing anything

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024