Author Topic: phytoestrogenic herbs?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline blackhawk

• Posting Member
I have read that many herbs such as saw palmetto, fenugreek, red clover, wild yam, etc contain plant estrogens and can cause gyne. Is there any truth to this, and are they something that men should try to avoid altogether, as they are often used for cooking?  Just not sure how much we are actually exposed to inadvertently as there seems to be an endless list of plants, herbs, and foods that contain these phytoestrogens. 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
There is little hard-scientific study of plant estrogens and their contribution to formation of gynecomastia. Many men use saw palmetto and some of these other supplements commonly, and I don't think that many of us could cite them as common factors in the development of gynecomastia in our patients.  If you're concerned about developing gynecomastia from them, you should avoid their use. If you encounter them unexpectedly in cooking, it's unlikely that the amount used and the frequency with which you encounter them would be enough to cause you a problem, unless you eat every meal at one particular restaurant where they use these herbs all the time.  Oregano and basil are probably much more common than red clover and fenugreek on most menus. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline blackhawk

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply, I personally do not take any as supplements, it was just hard to believe as many of them are recommended for heart health, bph, ect.... I had considered taking a few (flax seed in particular) for heart health because my family has a long, bad history of heart disease but couldn't make up my mind because of so much controversial "information." And having mild gyne already i don't wanna take the risk of making it more prominent.  Guess the best bet is to just stay active and in shape for now.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Flax seed oil or other sources of omega fatty acids are fine.  I'd be surprised if they had a bad effect on gynecomastia, since they support testosterone.  From a scientific perspective, a baby aspirin is probably more valuable, but I say that without knowing if there are any good studies looking at omega fatty acids, whereas there is plenty of evidence to support the baby aspirin.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024