Author Topic: Surgery Booked and Paid  (Read 3525 times)

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
In less than two weeks, I have my surgery scheduled.

The only thing that worries me about the surgery is anesthesia. I'm a control freak and I don't like the idea of being put under. Plus, the horror stories of people being under but aware and in pain are on my mind and freak me out.

But more than anything, I can't WAIT to get rid of these things that have plagued me since I was 12. I can't wait to go the beach shirtless, I can't wait to not hesitate to take off my shirt on a hot, sweat day, I can't wait to look good in button-down shirts, I can't wait to wear nice sweaters in the fall, and look like a real boy.

I gained some weight over the last few years but have started working out again. The gut and other fat has always been easy for me to lose so I'm not worried about that. Once I get the surgery, I'll be able to really throw myself into my fitness.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
In less than two weeks, I have my surgery scheduled.

The only thing that worries me about the surgery is anesthesia. I'm a control freak and I don't like the idea of being put under. Plus, the horror stories of people being under but aware and in pain are on my mind and freak me out.

I gained some weight over the last few years but have started working out again. The gut and other fat has always been easy for me to lose so I'm not worried about that. Once I get the surgery, I'll be able to really throw myself into my fitness.

Congrats. I saw a few stories about being under too, I think this might be some BS or delusional from the meds. I was worried about not having the full under type anesthesia (I had twlight) and feeling anything ...even talked to the anesthesiologist about it and she said in all her years she never heard of such a thing.  For me I was talking on the surgery table as they were prepping me feeling a bit nervous, and then... "poof".....woke up in the recovery area with the nurse slapping me on the shoulder.  I woke up fairly cleanly with minimal pain. The gal next to me in the recovery room was a bit loopy and took longer to get lucid. She was going on about her boob job in a kind of loopy/drunk state ... and I am thinking ... what a world, I had too much boob and she not enough, but we can all get what we want. Her husband is next to her joking with her, and my wife next to me joking.

Have some controlled expectations on recovery. Some guys here seem to escape bruising and swelling and heal quickly. I have seen pictures of guys that go flat within a week. Others (like me) can have alot more swelling, healing, or bleeding issues and take a lot longer.  For some of us, that may mean months before we like what we see in the mirror.

Are you getting tissue and lipo done at the same time? Under the nipple or tubes on the sides?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:22:15 AM by greatlakes »

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the advice, greatlakes.

I'm going to have both lipo and gland excision done and the drains will be under my arms, IIRC. I made it very clear to my doctor that I want the gland G.O.N.E. and he assured me they would be except for a tiny amount left behind the nipple for support.

Reading the stories and experiences on here have put my mind at ease a lot about the anesthesia. I think right now my main concern is how quickly I can get back into the gym. :) The doctor said I could resume heavy lifting within 2 weeks if there are no unexpected complications. But I've just started CrossFit and I think I need to show him a video of exactly what we do because it's pretty intense and might be more intense than he thinks suitable.

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
Less than 6 days! I can't wait!!!!!!! I think about it everyday.

How thick is the vest, by the way? Will I be able to wear my usual clothes on top or should I wear shirts that are a size bigger?

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
The vest is a heavy spandex and other material that is not too thick. I work in an office, and you could not see it under a standard button down shirt. I did notice the thicknesses of the shoulder straps on some lighter weekend polo or t-shirts however.  

So no you do not need to buy larger shirts.

6 days and counting for you.....

Offline Showtime620

• Silver Member
48 more hours and you'll be under the knife having those glands removed!  Very exciting!!!

honestly, the hardest part of the surgery is not eating prior!

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
You are getting the "works"  - I hope they nuke your moobs clean off the planet. If all goes well you can hit the gym in about a month.

Offline Showtime620

• Silver Member
So Greatlakes, it just so happens that I have a follow up appointment with Dr. Lo this Monday, which is the same day that NOgoJoe will be in the office to have his drains removed.  Pretty coincidental!

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Ha ! too funny.  I wonder if there will be other guys there too.

My doc's office is normally filled with good looking women (some look like they had a lot of work) in the waiting area. I saw one guy once. Had no idea what he was there for.

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
Surgery is tomorrow!

I can't wait!

Less than 12 hours away!

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
All right! Headed to the hospital now! Hopefully, I'll come out a real boy.

Offline Showtime620

• Silver Member
Good luck!  Kiss those boobies goodbye!

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
Finally, home!

There's seems to be a considerable amount of swelling, especially on my left side, but so far so good! I've taken a percocet and I'm feeling good.

I'll probably post a surgery experience story tomorrow.

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024