Author Topic: no gynecomastia... help me pls  (Read 2476 times)

Offline darioswampy11

• Posting Member
Hi , im 17 years old and my right chest has been kinda puffy as long as i can remember.So i went to the doctor , he did a echo test on my chest and no gynecomastia was discovered.I need some help on how to get rid of the fat im 55 kg's so im very slim , thanks

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I have never recommended an ultrasound to diagnose gynecomastia. Physical examination is paramount in the diagnosis. Gynecomastia is the medical terminology for enlarged breasts in men and it is derived from the Greek words for feminine breast.If your breast are enlarged you have gynecomastia.A photo would be useful.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:48:40 PM by DrPensler »
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Dr. Pensler -- the diagnosis is made by physical examination (the old fashioned way).  Don't know why an echo exam was needed -- and don't know why it did not show breast tissue under the areola.  Perhaps they did not know how to interpret the test.  If you are slender and have puffy nipples, then excess breast tissue is the only thing it can be.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline darioswampy11

• Posting Member
idk if u can see clearly from this photo

Offline darioswampy11

• Posting Member
so your saying if there is a tisue the ultrasound should have detected it , ?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I am saying there is not really a use for the ultrasound . We all have breast tissue under the nipple and this is a normal finding.If a test does not show tissue it just is not sensitive enough. The issue is do you have too much tissue not weather you have some breast tissue.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As per Dr. Pensler and Dr. Jacobs, gynecomastia is a qualitative diagnosis describing excess breast tissue in a man, and puffy nipples are the mildest form.  From the photo, it looks like you have a puffy nipple, though the angle and quality aren't idea.  I agree also that an ultrasound is a fairly meaningless study in most gynecomastia patients, and I rarely understand why it was ordered.  It should have identified the tissue that's there, but it would likely just look like normal tissue in the chest.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline darioswampy11

• Posting Member
ooh i understand  now thanks a lot, and one more thing since i was little my left nipple was fine but the right was little puffy you think it would go away or surgery ? thanks again

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
In most cases of gynecomastia during puberty--around 95%--There is resolution within three years after onset.  If you've had it longer than that, you should probably explore surgery.

RS

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
With regard to pubertal changes and gynecomastia ,all men develop an enlargement of the breast bud during the pubertal growth spurt. The increase in breast bud size is typically accompanied by a variable amount of tenderness.The bud is rarely visible to a significant degree. The pubertal bud stabilizes rather quickly 18 - 24 months after on set of puberty,  then resolves. Your photo/history is not suggestive of the typical changes that are seen with puberty.

Offline darioswampy11

• Posting Member
i think the condition is called asymetric gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024