Author Topic: When will extremely puffy nipples go away naturally if they are going to?  (Read 6322 times)

Offline dartguy

• Posting Member
I started puberty around 14-15, and immediately I developed hard sensitive lumps behind my nipples. Three to three-and-a-half years later the sensitivity is gone but my nipples protrude larger than ever, pushing out through my shirts. My doctor told me they would go away when the testosterone and and estrogen balance out, but I have stopped growing for several months and appear to have reached the end of puberty.

My nipples show no sign of retracting and it interferes with what might be a career choice ( spend several days a week training at a pre-professional ballet company where appearance and aesthetics are very important, and the dress code makes it impossible to disguise the protrusion--tucked in white shirts.) There is minor discoloration around the left nipple which I'm assuming are stretch marks. Pictures are below.

I don't do drugs or medication and I don't take steroids and I'm in good shape. I know that the cause of the protrusion is glandular and hormonal based, but I'm wondering how long it will take the body to sort itself out? (or if at this point it is even going to.) I would love to not have a conversation with my parents about how I need 5000 dollars for surgery. Would the price be less if I have only puffy nipples and not full blown gynecomastia?

Thanks in advance

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sorry, but after 3+ years of puffy nipples, the likelihood of them spontaneously disappearing is very low.  Best to gather your courage and consult with a reputable plastic surgeon for possible gyne surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I would agree with Dr. Jacobs. If gynecomastia hasn't resolved in 3 years, it usually doesn't resolve without surgery.  In the meantime, as you discuss this with your parents, you might consider wearing Under Armor or some other compression shirt under your white shirts to help camouflage your nipples.  Invariably, you will be far more sensitive about it than others, but that's one way you may be able to hide it for now.

Regarding cost, you'd have to explore the cost in your part of the country--it varies to some degree based on cost of living and other local or regional factors.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com