Author Topic: Propecia question  (Read 1933 times)

Offline jason101

I have had smallish gyne since high school.. Am now 23 and stared taking propecia for about 3 months when i had noticed it made my gyne slightly (not much) worse.. Anyways I stopped for a few months, saw no change in the gyne size and am not back on it at half dose.

My question: Is it ok to stay on propecia AFTER SURGERY at half dose if it does not affect my gyne much now?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
First I would ask did the propecia help with your hair-loss?
If it is not altering the gynecomastia if may be ok at the present dose .If you notice a change in your gynecomastia then it would not be advisable.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline jason101

Its sort of hard to tell if its making it worse or not.. In other words, if it is, its not growing like crazy or anything.. Considering that ive had mild gyno since i was a teenager, im just wondering if i should stop with the propcia all together..

Note: gyno has never been painful, itchy or really felt at all.. just there.

If it comes back do most doctors fix it again as part of the first fee or charge again?

Also, are hair transplants doable/practical without a propecia prescription?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I have had patients on Propecia continue it if they didn't feel that it affected their gynecomastia, and they remained fine afterwards.  But that's a very small number of patients, so I can't say that it's proof that it would be okay to continue it.  Generally, however, patients notice worsening of the gynecomastia from Propecia fairly promptly, and if they discontinue the Propecia, it resolves.  If it doesn't resolve, it could be re-excised.  You should ask your surgeon his policy on that.  In my practice, this would be considered a "revision," in many cases, and for such "touch-up" procedures, we charge a nominal fee to cover our costs.  Each office may vary on their policy.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery