Author Topic: TIPS & Stuff To Have For Surgery Day!  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Here's a list of things that you might want to purchase and have ready on the day of your gyne surgery (going by my experience):

BUTTON UP SHORT SLEEVE SHIRTS & BUTTON UP PJS
This is a must to wear on surgery day and the first few days of recovery since you won't be able to lift your arms above your head. It makes things a lot easier if you have a couple of short sleeve button up shirts. The same goes with Pajamas. I'm just sleeping in the compression vest and boxers, but if you want to wear PJs, make sure the top is button up.

BRING JACKET HOODY
Even though it's summer and things are heating up, bring a light jacket with you on the day of surgery. When coming off of the anesthesia you'll feel cold and might start shivering, that's what happened to me, and the jacket will help with that. My patient intake coordinator told me this and I'm glad I listened to her.

SLIP ON SHOES & SWEAT PANTS
Wearing slip-on shoes and sweat pants (remember wear button up shirt) will make it easier for you to get dressed after or have the surgery staff dress you. I was fully dressed with my shoes on after surgery so the staff dressed me.  ::)

Things to have at home:

SALTINES & BOTTLED WATER
I was nauseous after surgery because I got up from the wheel chair to tell the staff my ride was there, so at home the only thing I could stomach was crackers. Having bottled water by the bed is also handy so you don't have to get up when you get thirsty or bother anyone, since you'll be in no condition to move around refilling your water glass on that first day.

BACK SCRATCHER
A Chinese back scratcher is a must if you'll be recuperating alone or if your caregiver will be in another room. You won't be able to reach your back if you have an itch, so the scratcher comes in handy and you won't have to wait or call out for someone just to come and scratch your back.

CLUB SODA
If you do get nauseous club soda is the best bet. On that first day, Coke and 7-UP were too strong a taste for me, but luckily I had sparkling water (although it was lemon flavored).

CRUSHED ICE, BAGGY, AND SOFT CLOTH
This was really good advice that I got from another patient: crushed ice in a ziplock bag wrapped in a soft cloth will put out and relieve the swelling and itchiness, and hot spots, that you'll get. Use this on top of your vest and NOT on your incision areas.

DVDS & BLU-RAYS
Get your favorite movies and TV shows ready because you'll be in front of the TV for at least 2-3 days.

Another thing you might look into is buying another compression vest. I washed mine and dried it in the dryer, I'm not sure if it shrank a little, but it felt tighter. If you have two, you can wash one and let it drip dry while wearing the clean one that way you won't have to worry about shrinkage or not having compression on your chest during this time.

Also, my compression vest has hooks in the front, and adjustable Velcro shoulder straps, with the TAG in the back on the OUTSIDE. For this vest, this is the correct way to wear it. And I found that it's better to start hooking up the front from the top and work my way down rather than the other way around. The first time I did it I went from top-bottom, top-bottom, eventually meeting in the middle, but I had a helluva time closing it that way because I couldn't get a good grip on the two sides.
 :-X

Anyway, bros these are the things that I've found to be helpful once you have your date set. Good luck and remember to rest afterwards.

Offline unhappy123

• Posting Member
Thanks for posting this information. It's very useful!

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
You're welcome, unhappy123.

Offline work in progress

• Posting Member
Thanks for the info! About the shivering/nausea symptoms from the anesthesia, was that twilight or general?

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Hi Work in  progress,

I had general. I didn't get down to actually shivering, but I was definitely colder than my normal self, so I'm really glad I brought my hoodie. And the reason I got nauseous is because I got up and walked out of the recover room when I should have stayed seated because I was fine when I was sitting down. My doctor gave me an anti-nausea tablet that you let dissolve in your mouth but I didn't realize I had it, it was in my bag with the other pills and instructions, until I got home.  :-\

Offline NO83

• Posting Member
Thank you for posting this! I had surgery this past monday the 25th. The day before surgery I went out and bought some vans slip ons, some sweat pants, and brought a zip up fleece hoodie to surgery.  Thanks to this post it was easy to get dressed after surgery and I really appreciate it!   ;D

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
You're most welcomed, Nate83, I'm glad that I could help. I hope you're recovering nicely.  ;)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024