Author Topic: Sedation  (Read 2761 times)

Offline No.6

I was wondering what specific sedative is used for the surgery. Anyone recall experiences with it?

Also, I am very much afraid of needles (the last time I got a shot I fainted  :-[). Could there be an oral substitute?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No one likes needles (myself included).  However, don't let that "fear" preclude you from having surgery, if that is what you wish to do.

Most of the time, you will be lying flat and the anesthesiologist will start an IV line.  He may use some anesthetic cream to make the initial pinprick less painful.  Once the IV is in, you will receive doses of medication and then it is dream time.  In what will seem like "just a minute" to you, you will awaken and find your chest to be flat and contoured.

Don't let your fears paralyze you.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

22Twain

I was wondering what specific sedative is used for the surgery. Anyone recall experiences with it?

Also, I am very much afraid of needles (the last time I got a shot I fainted  :-[). Could there be an oral substitute?

I had deep sedation with propophol.  The whole procedure lasted about four hours, but about 15 seconds after the anaesthesiologist said he was starting the sedation all I remember is waking up in recovery.  The initial IV insertion was very mild.  He put a topical on my arm before putting it in, so very little pain and really not something I even remember being an issue.

My procedure included liposuction of upper and lower back, flanks, a little on the tummy, and then gynecomastia bilateral plus liposuction and finally breast reduction including excess skin removal.  Because of the amount of skin that needed to be removed, including nipple reposition, I have scars that go around the aerolas and also extend down and across the crease below each breast.

I am currently seven weeks post-op and quite pleased with the results so far.  The new contour is looking very nice.  The scaring was a trade off that, for me, was worth it.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
I had what most commonly called twilight sleep or conscious sedation. This is not "full under" with a someone controlling your breathing. It was the first time I had this kind - usually it is the full under.  I was in a large chair when they started the IV, the feeling was like cold in my hand and a bit uncomfortable (but not painful). Within about a two mins I no longer felt the coldness. Then they wheeled me in an started another drug while I was on the table. I went out and woke up later back in the chair. The benefit I found to this kind of twilight thing - was that I went out just as nice, felt nothing, remembered nothing - but I woke up better with no sickness in my stomach, no sore throat,  and was ready to go fairly quickly.   I had about 3-4 hours of work done while under.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Greatlakes

You have now experienced the beauty of "twilight sleep" or "conscious sedation".  I use this method 99% of the time for my surgery.  I am fortunate to be working with an expert anesthesiologist -- this is our 21st year of working together, so we function as a great team.  My patients often emerge from the anesthesia feeling so well that they ask for a little more of it to take home with them! (Sorry, can't be done).

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024