Author Topic: Age for surgery  (Read 1568 times)

Offline kiwi60

Hi,
I am a reasonably fit 60 year old, that has suffered from mild Gynecomastia for most of my life. Over the last few years I feel the condition is getting worse. I would like to know, at my age, is it worth considering surgery, and if so what are the risks for a person of my age.
Thanks.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Without knowing your medical history, it's difficult to tell you age-related risks specific to you, but generally, the added risks are related to the anesthesia and would be true of any surgery in patients over 60.  These may include things like heart attack, stroke, and so on.  Some procedure-specific risks relate to how your tissues respond to surgical intervention, and I have found that patients over 60 sometimes have issues related to elasticity changes in older skin.  The skin may not tighten up as much as in younger patients after liposuction, making the potential need for a touch-up or revision somewhat greater.  I also look at the potential need for skin removal a little differently in these patients, and I discuss this with them in detail.

As to whether the procedure is worth it or not, you are the only person who can answer that.  If it bothers you enough, if the anticipated results are good, and if you have the resources to afford the procedure, then it might be worth it. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Risks are specific for each patient based on their medical history and the severity of the gynecomastia.In addition skin elasticity will play a significant role in your result.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Drs Silverman and Pensler.  I have found that for most of my patients over 60, the main problem is that once the excess underlying tissues have been removed, there is insufficient natural elasticity in the skin to provide the taut, contoured look that is the real goal.  As a result, surgery could probably make your chest flatter but you would still have a residual infra-mammary fold -- unless you elected to have further skin tightening (which would result in additional and probably unwanted scarring.)

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024