Author Topic: Supplementation/Fitness Query Regarding Complications with Surgery  (Read 1712 times)

Offline RAW210

• Posting Member
Today I booked my surgery. It is in one month and I am very excited.

I have been a fitness (and admittedly a supplement) freak for years and I am currently taking the following supplements:

Optimum Nutritions Opti-Men Multi Vitamin     
8 grams of fish oil concentrate for 1.5 grams of EPA and 1 gram of DHA       
2 grams of safflower oil for 1.5 grams of CLA     
50-80 grams of whey protein isolate     
3 grams of L-Glutamine

I dont smoke, I don't drink alcohol often, and I like to think I eat very healthy.

Should I have any concerns of complications before (IV anesthesia), during, or after surgery (recovery process) with the supplements I am currently taking?

I have read fish oil can increase bleeding and should be avoided before surgery. When should I stop taking them?

Additionally, do you have any recommendations on when/if I should avoid intense physical activity before my surgery?

As always, thanks for your insight!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
We recommend stopping fish oils and any odd supplements 2 weeks before surgery. Fat burners sometimes contain a salicylate (aspirin-like compound), which can also cause bleeding, so avoid those. A multi-vitamin is fine, as is protein powder and l-Glutamine.  Avoid excessive Vitamin E beforehand.  Exercise to your heart's content--you'll be taking some time off afterwards.

Good luck.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com