Author Topic: Gynecomastia Treatment Options/Poor University Student  (Read 2121 times)

Offline kushwoho44

Hi there,

I am a 19 year old from Australia, if you're not Australian, you better stop reading now for your own sake, because your medical system makes your input (probably) irrelevant to my question. Nevertheless, all advice is appreciated!

I have had gynecomastia since I was about 15, it has in my opinion been unsightly since its onset, however, I realise that someone in my position can't be overly fussed solely on appearance. However, recently, the condition has caused me a great deal of pain after sports training and after long shifts at work and I really endeavour to do something about it.

I am a university student from a low-income household. I legitimately struggle to get enough money to pay for the monthly train-fare and legitimately any costs over $100 out of pocket rule out any medical treatment option for me.

I realise there aren't probably any plastic surgeons who want to operate under these fiscal terms, so I was wondering, what are my options? (And do I really have any other than going on with the pain).

Thank you for your time,

Kush

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I'm not sure if there are any Australian surgeons on the forum, so you may have to seek your answer by contacting surgeons in Australia, but when I did my fellowship in Melbourne--nearly 20 years ago--I recall that we saw a patient with gynecomastia in the public clinic at the Royal Melbourne.  He was placed on a list for surgery, and I was given the impression that he would eventually get the procedure done through, paid through the National Health Service.  I don't know how long a wait he would have had--it seemed like a year or two wasn't out of the question, depending on the availability of the surgeon.  Also, this would preclude finding a surgeon with guaranteed experience, so there is perhaps greater risk for a mediocre outcome.  But at this point, if that is still an option, it may be your only option.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com