Author Topic: Fluid buildup  (Read 2873 times)

Offline sectorjeff

• Posting Member
How long does fluid buildup usually take to go away if it is not being drained?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
A fluid collection in the chest at the site of gynecomastia excision may not resolve on its own if it's large enough, and serial drainage is required until it is gone. Seromas (fluid colections) of this nature are not common in uncomplicated gynecomastia surgery.  The situation where this occurs more commonly is after bleeding, but a smaller amount that doesn't require surgical intervention.  Serial aspiration of the liquified hematoma is often required if it's large enough, or a collection will build up.  It can be an inconvenience, but the results are typically okay after several weeks of aspiration. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
As far as how long it takes for fluid build up to resolve the answer will depend on 1)the type of fluid(seroma versus hematoma)  2) the amount of fluid and 3)what was done during surgery. Do you have any more specifics?
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline sectorjeff

• Posting Member
I had gland removal only due to pain when wearing my armored vest. I had drainage tubes for 3 days then taken out. Ever since i have noticed that the fluid has gone away a little but just wondering when it would completely go away. Thanks

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
How long has it been since surgery?Are you certain it is fluid and not retained gland? Why don't you provide a few photos.

Offline sectorjeff

• Posting Member
I had the surgery done in 3 Jan 2013. Pretty sure that its fluid buildup due to the fact that the area was indented after the drainage tubes where taken out and about 1 week after the area filled with fluid.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Why don't you provide a photo

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024