Author Topic: Stretchmarks on chest  (Read 1918 times)

Offline DeigoLun

Hello, this is my first post and first of all I would like to thank all the people that are this forum possible.  Especially to those Doctors that take time from their practices to reply to questions such as my own.

I did a search on this site and on the web and I can't seem to find an answer that is longer than a few sentences for it.

How much do stretchmarks on the chest effect the surgery and is surgery even recommended for people with stretchmarks on the chest area?

All I read is how the elasticity is important for such a surgery and I understand all of that.  I'm curious about those of us that have stretchmarks, so the skin isn't as elastic as before.  Are there extra steps to take? Extra costs? etc etc

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  And I apologize if its a stupid question to ask.  But Thank you for your replies anyway.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Skin elasticity plays an important role in the final result.Surgical removal of the tissue is obviously required for a good result.Following the surgery the skin will contract over the remaining muscle and bone.Without adequate skin contraction due to poor elasticity there will be some sag or loose skin.I often tell patients to view the skin of the chest as a sock.If you have a sock that fits a size 8 to 12 foot and put a size 6 foot into the sock it will not fit well. In this example lets say one sock could fit a size 5 to 12 foot ( good elasticity)while another could fit a 10 to 12 foot ( poor elasticity).The best option in a situation with the second sock is to place a lager foot ( build up the pectoralis or use a pectoral implant ). If you cannot add enough bulk  in a case with poor elasticity the patient  may need skin excision.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:10:47 PM by DrPensler »
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
As Dr. Pensler has explained, skin elasticity is a major concern when contemplating gyne surgery.  The presence of stretch marks indicates that your skin is or has been stretched (usually by being overweight).  The stretch marks are actual breakages in the elastic fibers of the skin.

Depending on their severity, they may or may not affect your ability to have gyne surgery.  I have operated upon many men who have a few stretch marks -- and the results have been quite satisfactory.  The presence of stretch marks should therefore not preclude surgery.

Best to consult with an experienced gyne surgeon to determine your suitability for surgery.Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Dr. Pensler's explanation with the sock is very useful.  The various techniques that are available for correction of gynecomastia result in varying outcomes, so realistic expectations are an important part of the process.  Taking the sock analogy one step further--A sock which is too big could be tailored in a way to make it fit the smaller foot, but it won't be as snug and comfortable as a sock which is designed to fit that foot properly. Similarly, excision of skin can improve the appearance of the chest, but it may not look as good as if that skin excision were not required. In other words, chest shape, or the presence of scars may give a result which isn't perfect, but is still an significant improvement.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery