Author Topic: how long to do the dresing?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline max86

• Posting Member
i have got my surgery done on 16 march.. a lot of serosanguinous discharge was coming on 16th.. stopped by night.. it is all right?? i was given the pressure garment the same evening of the surgery.. wearing it right now.. no discharge after i started wearing it.. my doctor has advised to do daily dressing of the puncture sites of the liposuction canula and of the nipple stiches(absorbable). how long will i have to do this dressing?? i m feeling pain in my left nipple.. is it normal ?? thank you

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Best to check with your surgeon.  My patients don't typically have any sort of drainage, and I have them change their dressings two days post-op, when I allow them to remove their compression vest briefly to shower, and then replace it. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is always a little bit of oozing of the raw surfaces under the skin after gyne surgery.  That is why I apply a snug compression garment as soon as the surgery is completed -- pressure will help to minimize the oozing and the anticipated swelling.  But it is not perfect and some patients will indeed ooze a bit.  It usually stops within 12 hours or so after surgery but there may be enough to soak into the gauze dressings that are placed under the garment,

I, like Dr. Silverman, keep the surgical dressings on, intact, until 48 hours have elapsed.  Then, the patient can shower and immediately replace the garment until the next shower.

This method tends to minimize swelling and bruising and hastens the healing.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I have found that all patients ooze a bit the first evening. In fact at the end of the procedure I infuse some additional tumescent solution on both sides.This infusion tends to keep the patient more comfortable a bit longer,the down side is a small amount of fluid ooze.Everyone has there own protocol for garments and dressings but I would recommend you stick to what works for your surgeon.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024