Author Topic: Is it gyno on my left??  (Read 1531 times)

Offline medico

I'm 22 years old male. I have androgenic alopecia. Last year, I consulted a dermatologist and he prescribed me with finasteride 1mg and minoxidil 2%. Well after about 15 days I came to learn about the adverse effects of finasteride. So I decided not to take the risks and stopped taking finasteride but continued with the minoxidil. But even after 1 month, there was no control in my alopecia (instead it got worse). So, I stopped using minoxidil as well. And due to some reason I couldnt go for the follow up... Even now the hair loss is on its way. However, now I've not much concerns about it, I keep my hairs small.
But, recently I sense a new problem arising and I'm very much WORRIED, I feel my left side breast a bit more puffy than my right breast. I guess if its finasteride. But I stopped taking it a year back. So what can I do Sir? Though its not quite visible now (I've attached some pics) but what if it keeps on increasing. Is there anythg I can do to prevent its progression. If aromatase inhibitor can help. Please help me come out of it. I'm looking forward for a response...

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's possible that you have some gynecomastia, but your timeline is a little confusing as far as the potential causative agent being the finasteride.  The gynecomastia typically comes on sooner, and in most patients, it reportedly resolves by stoping the drug.  You don't mention that this developed when you started the medication.  It would seem strange for it to start a year after stopping the finasteride.  You would probably be best served by having an endocrine evaluation to rule out any other causes for the gynecomastia. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline medico

Thank you so much for your kind response Dr. Rick Silverman.
No Sir, It wasn't there when I took the meds. I could only feel it a month ago. And Sir, will it be too late if I do my endocrine evaluation after a month because I've my exams and it would be a very hard time to afford time to go to an endocrinologist and the follow ups? Is there any measures you'd suggest me to do in between?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You can finish your exams first and then deal with this.  If there is a problem that needs treatment, it's not likely to change drastically in the space of a month. If there are other signs that this might be of a more pressing nature, you should see your doctor sooner, but from the history you've described, that doesn't seem the case.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024