Author Topic: More fat under one nipple/areola then the other post surgery  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Nips

• Bronze Member
Following on from the last question. I'm 7 weeks post op. My left side has more soft fattier feeling tissue (not hard and swollen) than the right. not much but the right side just feels like skin and muscle whereas the left feels it has a little excess tissue.

I should add that my left nipple has more scar tissue formed than the right (which doesn't cause an issue at all yet) which requires massaging so think the left has more healing required than the right.

I realise at 7 weeks there is still considerable changes and healing required but the softer tissue doesn't feel like normal swelling. Maybe it's scar tissue pushing it out? Or maybe it is there on the right side but as i have more muscle built on that side it takes up the space?

Maybe this will change as I'm introducing a lot more exercise into my days now.

Not a major cause for concern by any means but I'm curious as to whether the fattier feeling tissue is a result of the healing process or whether it's just fat that has been left.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is very common for both sides to heal differently from one another -- more swelling, more scar tissue are the main culprits.  You won't know for sure until you have reached the final result, which may be 6 months or more after surgery.

Be patient and speak to your surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Nips

• Bronze Member
Saw my surgeon on tuesday. He's happy with it all, as am I. It's only since then I've been massaging the harder areola which becomes soft for some time afterwards that I've been noticing the softer tissue.

Can swelling still be present at 7 weeks post op?

Thanks for the response Dr Jacobs. I will continue to be patient:)

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Swelling takes months to completely resolve. For my patients who compete in bodybuilding, I recommend they do their surgery at least 6 months before any planned competition to allow for resolution of swelling, which can impact results in a highly competitive contest. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Massage is not the absolute answer for everything.  Sometimes it can set off more swelling than one would want.  That is why input from your own surgeon is so very important.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Nips

• Bronze Member
Thanks so much for your answers guys. Not just here but for all the answers you give on this forum. Insightful and reassuring.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024