Author Topic: swelling and compression  (Read 1555 times)

Offline hm4295

• Posting Member
Is it normal to have some swelling at 9 weeks post op? It seems more swollen on the side where I had a hematoma that was evacuated on day 3.

My surgeon said I don't have to wear the compression vest. But, is there any benefit to wearing it occasionally at this point? Especially after a workout? I've been wearing it for a few hours each night after the gym. It seems like it makes it flatter at least temporarily, but I don't know if that's simply because any chest looks flatter after it's been compressed.

Thanks!

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Swelling persists for months.When I perform liposuction on a patient, for example a women's hips, I tell her to expect swelling for 16 weeks.I would expect more swelling for sure on the side of the hematoma at this point.There is an art and a science to surgical treatment.Exactly how long to wear the garment and how to discontinue its use is definitely more in the realm of surgical art not science.Every patient is unique.Wearing your garment for an extended period of time does not compromise the final result and in some cases will be beneficial.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Agree with Dr. Pensler--Swelling persists for months.  There's not much evidence that wearing compression beyond six weeks has much benefit, but there's no down side to it either.  If you think it improves the situation a little, use it. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline hm4295

• Posting Member
Is there a point where you'd say there's almost certainly zero benefit to wearing compression?

Thanks!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
When you no longer see a difference, then there's no more benefit.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024