Author Topic: Is it normal for the incision line to not be exactly on the boarder of areola?  (Read 1513 times)

BrandonPrice31

Is it normal for the incision line to not be exactly on the boarder of the areola?

It seems that he made the incision on the bottom of my areola but not 'exactly' to the shape of the boarder. Half of the incision is on the boarder but the other half is just a bit above the boarder of where the skin meets the areola.

Does this mean he did a lousy job and will it cause any complications? My right areola seems to be a bit puffy (not because of fat) but because of a small skin fold that pushes the areola upwards.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Some surgeons put the incision right along the edge of the areola where the color changes, and some will put it just inside the areola, so that it's within the darker pigmented skin completely, since this skin tends to heal quite nicely--though the scar can be slightly lighter. I prefer the first option.  Some guys don't have the best-defined areolar border, which could make it difficult to put the scar exactly on the border.  It's possible, of course, that if part is along the edge and part is not, that the incision was slightly misplaced.  That said, as the scar fades, it should be minimally apparent.  If there's an issue with the appearance of the areola due to the scar, this can likely be corrected with a minor procedure under local in the office. You should speak to your surgeon about it.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery