Author Topic: Gynecomastia Surgery Vs. Nipple Reduction  (Read 2907 times)

Offline DylanJa

• Posting Member
I've been reading about a more simple procedure involving nipple reduction. I'm wondering what the cost and results would be. I've asked a few questions in the past and this I think is my final before making my decision on surgery. I think my nipples are more of an issue than my actual chest. They are very large and pointy. Any thoughts on the procedure, it's cost, and effectiveness vs. full gyno surgery?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Nipple reduction is not an adequate treatment for gynecomastia, so it really depends on what your condition looks like. If you just have large nipples, then nipple reduction would be a solution, and this is a procedure that can easily be done under local anesthesia in an office setting.  If, on the other hand, there are puffy nipples with some chest fat, then nipple reduction will not cure the problem. Photos would be helpful.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DylanJa

• Posting Member
Thanks for the input. Here are a few pictures of my chest.

Offline DylanJa

• Posting Member

Offline DylanJa

• Posting Member

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I would agree with Dr. Silverman. Your photos indicate you have gynecomastia and require treatment of the gynecomastia.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Absolutely agree with my colleagues.  You have decent sized gynecomastia.  Doing a nipple reduction would be pointless -- you really need surgery to reduce the entire chest.  This would also reduce the diameter of your areolas as well.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Thanks for posting the photos.  Drs. Jacobs and Pensler have already given you the definitive diagnosis.  Nipple reduction will not deal with your problem--You would require a full corrective procedure to remedy your gynecomastia. 

RS

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
One more important point. Many guys are concerned that they have large diameter nipples.  While this is obviously a point of concern, the best treatment is to remove the excess tissue underneath so that the skin (and the areolas) will shrink naturally.  Just think of a circle drawn on an expanded balloon -- let the air out and the circles will diminish.  So, too, will the areolas once the underlying tissue is removed.

If you think you can just have surgery to reduce the diameter of the areolas, then think again.  This type of surgery (a variation of a donut mastopexy), will result in scars completely around the areola.  In time, the areola tends to stretch out due to the incessant pull of the surrounding tissues plus the scars tend to be stretched out as well.  The result is virtually no improvement at the expense of surgery and a lot of permanent scars.

Dr Jacobs

Offline DylanJa

• Posting Member
That's for all your answers. This is the first surgery I will have ever had and I'm just looking to minimize the risk as much as possible. I'm going to see a surgeon about full gynecomastia removal.

Thanks again

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024