Author Topic: Questions to ask surgeons during consultations.  (Read 1373 times)

Offline aged_hazard

Hi everyone.  After 15+ years, I've decided to do something about it.

I'm researching surgeons (and seeing a few this week for consultation).  I want to make sure they know what they're doing.  I also want to make sure they plan to use the best methods.

• What should I ask to know if the surgeon has the requisite experience?  Is the number of surgeries done the best indicator?
  • What kinds of red flags should I look out for?  Should I be worried if they are upselling me other non-essential surgeries?
  • What are the most effective techniques that would be best for me?  I've attached some photos of my chest.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all for being involved in this community -- it looks like it changes lives everyday.

A little bit about me:

• I'm 29.  I have memories of this issue dating back to when I was 11 or 12.
  • I'm currently 5'9 and 165.  Last year, I was in an extreme exercise program and was in the best shape of my life (dropped to 150 and a "4-pack").  Yet, my chest has always looked like this.  Because of the disappointment, I got off the program, gained weight, and I feel depressed about my appearance.

Offline aged_hazard

One more picture attached -- this was when I was in probably the best shape of my life (worked out 6x week, very strict diet, etc).

Unfortunately, I don't have another pic from the side.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, it appears that you have gynecomastia.

Suggest you visit several plastic surgeons, including at least one surgeon who has extensive experience in treating gynecomastia.  Ask to see photos of their own patients.

Your condition is treatable -- just take the time to choose the best surgeon posssible for yourself.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
To help you prepare for your consultations, visit the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (plasticsurgery dot org), where you will find a section on gynecomastia that includes questions you should consider with your surgeon prior to undergoing surgery.  I agree with Dr. Jacobs--Your condition can be treated effectively, but you should choose your surgeon wisely.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
You have gynecomastia .Gynecomastia includes both fat and gladular tissue in the breast both of which needs to be removed. Aside from the generic question you will ask during your appointment you should focus on the individuals experience and their results.Weekly I see patients who have seen a surgeon who has grossly exaggerated their experience and the patient has  then had a poorly conceived operation with the predictable result.As with virtually every type of surgery complications can and do occur ,however the likelihood of an adverse outcome is reduced while the chances of an excellent result are increased with a highly experienced surgeon.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024