Author Topic: Blood thinners after surgery  (Read 2222 times)

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Would a day or two of blood thinners administered three days after surgery negatively affect outcome/appearance - or is the concern more about bleeding?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is about possible bleeding -- which could produce a hematoma and consequent problems with appearance.

Would not do it.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I would agree with Dr Jacobs and add in a healthy patient there is no potential benefit.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Thanks. I had an unknown and unexplained first time A-FIB event a few days after surgery. Hello middle age.

Common protocol was drugs to slow heart and thinners to avoid stroke. A-Fib went away after this. Preventing a stroke was #1....but finally resolving my gycomastia without negative impacts was on my worry list.

My health and heart all looked very good except mild blood pressure which I have had for a while

I was sent away with low dose asprin and told to resume normal life with no restrictions.  

I have seen no increase in swelling or any changes what so ever in my healing process after this treatment with thinners or the low dose asprin - but I asked here - because you never know so close after having my revision. Last thing I needed was to burst out in hemotomas, swelling, bleeding, or get messed up healing and messed up results.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Exercise caution to avoid activities that might cause bleeding, and you should be fine.  Nothing strenuous, nothing to get your blood pressure up. And wear your compression.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Everything in medicine requires an assessment of the risk / benefit ratio. In complex medical situations this is clearly best coordinated with the various physicians with complete knowledge of the situation. I have operated on many patients who required some postoperative management of thromboembolic risks. Each case is unique but the resumption of some sort of prophylaxis after surgery has not compromised the final results.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024