Author Topic: Should I get my testosterone level checked first?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Boobtastical

• Posting Member
I have an obvious case of gynecomastia, I've had it since I was a teenager.  My question is, should I get my testosterone level checked before scheduling consultations with surgeons?  I'm motivated to have the surgery this year, I'm 32 and feel that gynecomastia had ruined my life.  I've never discussed it with anyone, this site has offered a lot of inspiration to me.  I guess I'm looking for the first steps in the process.  Thank you so much to all the Doctors that contribute to this site, and thanks for your help.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
In patients who have had gynecomastia since puberty, who have no other issues suggestive of a hormonal instability, there's no real need for extensive hormonal testing prior to surgery.  If, on the other hand, you have any concerns about your hormone levels, than it would be appropriate to have your primary care doctor evaluate you initially, and if there is any evidence of an abnormality, you might be referred for a full endocrine evaluation.  As stated, though, this is rarely required for patients suffering from gynecomastia from puberty.

Once you've gotten past that issue, evaluation by a plastic surgeon with experience treating gynecomastia would be your next step.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Boobtastical

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr. Silverman!  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024