Author Topic: Diet and Calorie intake post-op  (Read 1804 times)

Offline moka

• Posting Member
Hello,

I am now 9 days post op. Everything is great, except for the fact that I am now more than 20 pounds over my ideal weight.

I am wondering if being on a calorie deficit to gradually lose some weight would affect the healing process in a bad way.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Losing weight or should I say optimization of your weight is a great idea.There are two sides to the weight loss equation : caloric intake and caloric expenditure. If the amount of calories your take in equals the amount you burn off your weight is stable.If you want to loose weight your can either take in less calories or burn more off.Typically the best thing to do is both a reduction of caloric intake combined with burning off more by increased exercise.You should not view this as a sprint but rather a marathon (lifestyle change).
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Losing weight slowly after surgery will probably not impact your healing, as long as you do it carefully and have sufficient protien, Vit C and Zinc to allow for proper healing.  Please avoid any crash diets at this time.

As Dr. Pensler said, this is a marathon, not a sprint.  Lose weight slowly and carefully by making definite lifestyle changes and the weight will stay off.  Lose it quickly with any one of the many fad diets and you will yo-yo back very quickly.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline moka

• Posting Member
Yes I understand  that to lose weight calorie intake should be less than expenditure.

I was thinking that I would take in 500 cal below what is required for maintaining my weight. This way I would lose maybe 2 or 3 pounds a week. So with enough protein intake I am hoping to stay healthy and avoid the yo yo effect.

Of course I have no idea how this would impact healing. For example: Nutritionists say that eating below maintenance means you can't gain muscle, because the body need a lot of calories beyond what is used for daily living in order to add on muscle mass.
So I was wondering if swelling, scar tissue and overall healing also need a caloric surplus or at least maintenance level.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are over intellectualizing.  Your body will heal, whether you like it or not.  It will not produce more or less scar tissue depending on your nutritional status.

As previously stated, you do need adequate protein, vit C and zinc to heal properly -- but that can be done while you are gently reducing your caloric intake of sugars, carbs, fats, etc.

Dr Jacobs

Offline moka

• Posting Member
Thank you so much. As always, very helpful.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024