Author Topic: Took off the vest - nipples became puffy  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Garycoleman

• Posting Member
I am 5 weeks post op and as instructed by my surgeon it is now only necessary for me to wear the vest during either the night or the day.
However, as soon as I took off the vest, my nipples became really puffy, like cone shaped.

My chest is becoming better and better, but I'm a little bit concerned about the nipples puffing out after i take the vest off. Of course, with the pressure of the vest it wouldnt be really strange, but my question is if this will subside over time, or is the vest just creating a false facade?
My chest is starting to become really flat, but as i said, the nipples puff out like a couple of hours after I remove the vest.

Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you put the vest back on overnight, do the nipples flatten out again?  If so, then the situation is swelling, which is always temporary and should be no cause for alarm.  If, however, the nipples stay puffy even overnight, then you may be developing some scar tissue directly under the areolas.

Best to check this out with your surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Garycoleman

• Posting Member
Yes, if I put on the vest overnight the puffiness goes away. It usually takes about 12 hours for the swelling to go away once I put the vest on again. However, there is still swelling even after I've worn the vest. I know this because I have a complete loss of feeling around my nipples. I understand this is completely normal though, and I've got to wait 6 months for it to go away. I'm okay with that.

I might as well ask when; do you recommend to keep the vest on 24/7? I understand that the vest cannot hurt, it can only help, but it is quite a relief not having to wear it during the day :)

I would also like to thank you very much for replying, its very appreciated. I know you doctors got a busy schedule. From a patients point of view I cannot begin to tell you how good it is to get a second opinion from an experienced gyno surgeon. Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I know that wearing a vest or other compression garment is a pain in the a**, but it does serve a very valuable purpose -- and the longer you can wear it continuously, the better your results will be -- plain and simple.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024