Author Topic: Type of Surgery  (Read 1787 times)

Offline DylanJa

• Posting Member
I am 27 years old, down to 198 pounds from 243 this year. I know I need some form of surgery to fix my chest. I have gland removal, areola reduction, and liposuction scheduled for October. My weight loss has been since last seeing my surgeon. I still plan and losing some more. He told me I would need to miss 2 weeks of work if I can't get light duty and have drains for a week.

My question is what would just an areola reduction do for my appearance, and would just liposuction make for a quicker recover as well as producing a good result? I am becoming more comfortable with my chest but I still desire to have something changed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:59:39 AM by DylanJa »

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
A couple of comments
1) You need complete correction of the gynecomastia if it is not going to be done correctly do not waste the time effort and expense
2) 25% of my patients go back to work the day after surgery
3) 75% go back with an additional day off
Exceptions to the rule are athletes ,active military and law enforcement ( I am sure there are others but off the top of my head I cannot think of them)
4) I do not use drains
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:53:54 AM by DrPensler »
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Dr. Pensler -- you need lipo and excision for the best possible result.  The areola diameter can sometimes diminish significantly on its own during the operation and thus I would be reluctant to do an areolar reduction at the same time -- I would rather have Mother Nature diminish the size of the areola.  Areolar reduction can lead to poor scars around the edge of the areola -- and sometimes it spreads back out again.

Perhaps seek the opinion of another surgeon.

BTW, I very rarely use drains.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DylanJa

• Posting Member
Thanks Doctors. I was a little put off with the recovery time frame I was given from my surgeon. So basically as far as what type of surgery I should be looking at all or nothing? Also, since you both do not use drains what is the benefit to using/not using them? My surgeon just said to prevent a build up of fluid.

Thanks again

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The use of drains is very individual -- and there is nothing wrong with using them.  Each surgeon has his own philosophy about their use -- and much of it is due to their training, experience, etc.

For me, with thousands of gyne procedures under my belt, drains offer no significant benefit except in some very rare circumstances.

Best to discuss the use of drains with your surgeon.

Dr Jacobs

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I read Dr Jacobs post before writing this and agree entirely with it. We as surgeons do what works best for us.Clinical decisions are based on our experience. I do not use drains however I do have a friend whom I have high regard for who often does.In my experience drains do not offer an advantage and are quite burdensome for the patient.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024