Author Topic: What is the best technique for Gynecomastia Surgery?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline GoBucks01

Hello, I am curious on what may be the best type of gynecomastia surgery.  I have heard of different techniques. I have been interested the technique performed by Dr. Sherwood Baxt MD, He is based out of NJ.  He uses a Microdebrinder tool I believe is used to grind cartilage but can break down the fibrous glandular tissue in gynecomastia. I understand this to be a "blind" type of surgery and I did not know if many people have success with this compared to the traditional cut under the areola? I am 26 with mild gyno and I am about a month out from when I would like to get the procedure done.  I am still in the process of finding a surgeon.  I live in Ohio, and I have not found much information available around the area. If anyone has any information of a good plastic surgeon in Ohio I would appreciate it, Although I am not opposed to going out of state to find a surgeon as well.  Just whatever it takes to get the best results I can. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every surgeon has his own technique for performing gyne surgery -- there is no nationally determined "right" way to do it.

What counts, though, is the final result.  If you are looking for a surgeon, suggest you do your homework and try to find a surgeon who has a lot of experience in doing the procedure.  That means he is prepared to show you dozens of pre/post op photos --= not just one or two.  If you feel that you would prefer to travel for an expert, then do so.  Remember, getting it done right the first time is most important.  Revision surgery is always playing catch-up.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I would agree with what has been said that each surgeons technique is unique to that individual however there are many similarities between the different operations experienced individuals perform.As surgeons we do what works best for us to get the optimal results.Having said that techniques that no one else performs I view with suspicion.If a technique is so great why don't other surgeons do it? I have utilized a machine  called Cusa which fragments,emulsifies then aspirates tissue for gynecomastia . The machine is primarily used for Neurosurgery. I would summarizes my experience with Cusa as a long run for a short slide. The periareolar incisions I use heal well with minimal scarring.It is easier and more predictable for me, after over a thousand cases, to resect the APPROPRIATE amount of tissue through a periareolar incision not that it cannot be done another way.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline GoBucks01

Thank you all for you responses.  I really do appreciate it.  Would you suggest going to an endocrinologist before or after the surgery?  I am afraid I will have the surgery and my levels are out of order and it may come back.  Thanks guys I really appreciate the help!

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
There are many techniques that can be used by many skilled surgeons. My preference is to use Ultrasonic Liposuction, traditional liposuction and direct excision, which can all be done through a small incision on the side of the chest. It is sometimes call a lateral pull through technique. It is very successful in achieving a smooth flat shape with a very low need for revision.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024