Author Topic: Need fast help, confused cause of different opinions.  (Read 1063 times)

Offline titties1

I live in Europe, our health care system is different compared to US, I think, but I try my best to explain my story.
I went to private clinic some months ago, to get checked if I have a gynecomastia. I'm pretty fit man, doctor there could tell immediately, I indeed have a gynecomastia. He was general surgeon. Then I went to ultrasound examination, then it was confirmed, I indeed have a gynecomastia. He told me, it needs to be operated in hospital on general anesthesia. I was put on the waiting list.

Now today, I went to see plastic surgeon, on our "free" health care. Basic stuff, I took shirt off. She said my chest looks completely normal, I told her that I'm cold at the moment, so my nipples are hard, which makes them look normal. She said no surgery is required. I was so confused. I told her that my nipples are sore and I can't wear tight shirts, and I hate how they look, they ruin my appearance.
She said then that they can do a surgery, cause of the pain, but there is a high risk, that I won't be satisfied with the results, that my chest won't change a lot in appearance. Also, they will do it on local anesthesia.

How is that possible that two doctors opinions change so much? I tried to ask multiple times, what does it mean that I maybe won't be satisfied with the results. Is this "standard" thing to do with this kind of surgeries?
We chose that I go to the surgery anyways.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Many doctors who are not well versed in gynecomastia surgery will often state that a patient can "live with it."

Even though it may cost you out of pocket, it might be worthwhile to seek an opinion from an acknowledged gyne expert plastic surgeon in your country.  I have a feeling you will receive a much more sympathetic and understanding evaluation.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I would suggest a third opinion. And you should get it from  Plastic surgeon who has an interest in helping treat men with gynecomastia. I am surprised that it would be covered by your government health plan. It is not here in the States, unless it is caused by a disease, disorder, or medicine. General surgeons are generally not rained in liposuction. Liposuction is very useful to create a smooth result. if not used I believe that you will be at higher risk of developing a crated deformity. Take your time in finding the right surgeon. Good luck.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024