Author Topic: sensitivity and pain 4 weeks post-op  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Knoxy

Hi Doctors, forum members.
Hope you can assist me - 
I had Gynecomastia surgery on the 24th of April, just under 4 weeks ago. The surgeon described my case as quite large. 
I had a post op follow up with the surgeon the following Saturday, 8 days after the surgery and the doctor was extremely happy with the results so far. Said i was able to remove the compression vest within a week - which i did.
The first few days of removing the vest was fine, after then i noticed my chest started to swell a bit and became ultra sensitive. I can feel every bit on my nipple against clothing.
I had expected by the 4 week period to begin the up hill stretch, rather than feeling like the pain is increasing and the swelling has also. 
My concerns are obviously around having a seroma - is this something that would go away overtime or do i need to have them drained? 
I'm trying to avoid paying $220 to see my surgeon again for him to say "everything is okay" if its possible. 
Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Can't answer for the increased swelling and pain -- that is why you should return to your surgeon with these questions.
Virtually all surgeons charge one flat fee, which covers the surgery and all post-operative care.  You should clarify with your surgeon if he indeed charges extra for post-operative care.
Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Knoxy

Thank you for the advice,
I saw my surgeon, he said everything i'm experiencing is normal - my case was rather large so it's expected that pain time frame will be greater than most. and the swelling will go down within the next 4 months.

thanks 

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Not sure why you would need to pay additional for post op visits. This is usually included. If you live out of town, I would think that you could send to him some photos. Also not sure why you would be more swollen now than at just a week after surgery. Post op increased sensitivity can sometimes occur and can take a few weeks to a couple of months to improve. Time for you to check back with your surgeon.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024