Author Topic: Camping.  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
We wound up going to a place that is totally new to us.  Not only were we the oldest people camped there, but we were the only people in their 70's to still be tent camping.  

We went to Paradise Campground in the Las Padres National Forest.   A small campground with only about 15 sites.  The sites are all shaded by oak trees that are huge and very old.  Walking distance from the Santa Ynez River.  We had neighbors who were very disappointed to learn that the river was dry.  Actually it is normally dry.  it is only a flowing river briefly in very wet years.    The camp is well situated, midway between the beach front parks of Santa Barbara and the Danish village of Solvang.  

As is our habit, Judy and I had a week of peace and quiet to enjoy ourselves and each other before we added two women and eight children to our camp.  I dearly love the daughters and the grandchildren but they can be exhausting.  I had help cooking for the first time in a very long time and the two older boys were able to complete the requirements for Cooking Merit badge.  They planned the menus and prepared meals for the whole group.  Their only problem was that I had to stop them and make them wash their hands constantly one night.   the dinner that day was Chicken and they needed to learn about cross contamination.    They learned and we all had fun.   They prepared all their meals from raw ingredients.  No mixes were allowed and no canned goods or packages.  
Grandpa Dan

hammer

Good to hear you and Judy get out and enjoy the out doors Dan! As we have talked about this a few times before I know I've told you we are doing the tent camping again  for awhile with the new intent set up Coleman cabin 10x12 tent I bought for deer hunting last year. We will be going next month for a big family fest, and then again in the fall for trail riding with the ATV. I would like to camp in it when I'm deer hunting, but I think my brother will want to do a motel.

We have decided though the we will most likely buy a new camper next year. We went to the camping show this spring and think that the toy hauler would be a good way to go for us. That way I can carry the ATV in the back for hunting, and the power wheelchair when we travel, or even put my fancy zero gravity chair inside if we want.

I've been trying to talk Debbie into buying it for hunting this fall but she wants to wait to see how well my recovery is going first to be sure I can handle setting up a camper again.

Offline expedient-traveller

• Silver Member
What is it about camping that makes the food taste better? Even if something gets burned, it still tastes better. My brothers (3 of us) used to go camping every year. I would take care of transportation and getting the campsite; one would pay for the food; one would be the "cookie" and prepare the meals. Now, I wonder if it could be the presence of a very rare and precious commodity that I heard about years ago. What was that...oh yea, fresh air! Just being out in the woods with loved ones and friends makes every meal taste better regardless of what the meal is. To put it simply...love can make things taste better but fresh air cannot hurt.

Offline Samael

• Posting Member
I hope that I'll be able to take my daughter and wife out camping next year. We've got 2 decent campgrounds about 2 miles from my office, 12 from home. It's nice living in the mountains. Glad you enjoied your trip!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
My wife and I are very old school when it comes to camping.  We use a Tent.  Our stove is an old Coleman 426 with three burners.   My Lanterns are even older, Coleman 200A single mantle lanterns.  I have two.   
Once a ranger commented that I was not only the oldest camper he had seen in over a year, most of the people within a decade of my age had changed to Motor Homes or Camp Trailers.  Not only was I the oldest, I was still camping in a tent.   So I introduced him to my Mother in Law who was camping with us. She was 92 at the time.   It was her last trip, and that was 10 years ago. 
Judy and I usually plan on one week with just the two of us and one week with a bunch of Grandchildren.  
We are planning on Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon National Park for next summer.  Unknown at this time how many we will have, but it should be fun.  That is a great place with lots to do.   

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024