Author Topic: Aggressive early gyno out of nowhere, what can I do?  (Read 1296 times)

Dench57

Hi guys,
A few months ago I was put on a low dose of Amitryptyline (tricyclic anti-depressant) to help with a constant scalp pain/itching I have. Within 2 weeks I noticed a very slight sensation in my nipples, and realising gyno was a side-effect of anti-depressants, I came off the drug immediately. Nothing has happened since then, about 6-7 weeks ago, so I assumed it had resolved itself naturally.
Now about 5 days ago I started taking a low dose of Sulfasalazine, an anti-inflammatory and mild immuno-suppressant, to combat my scalp pain. Within 3 days of starting, out of nowhere my nipples/breast area became very painful, aching, and in the space of 3 days have visibly puffed out and are protruding. It's obvious I have very aggressive gyno, I had no idea it was this painful/happened this quickly. But I have NO idea why or how this happening, I have checked and gyno is not a listed side effect of Sulfasalazine, not even in extremely rare cases. It doesn't effect the endocrine system. I was also taking Indomethacin (anti-inflam/painkillers) for about 3 weeks recently but I don't see how that could cause gyno either.
I am a slim, 25 year old healthy guy who regularly exercises, never had any history of gyno in puberty. I have naturally fairly high testosterone (30nmol/l, normal range 5-28nmol/l). I had the rest of my bloods checked about 2 months ago and all within normal range. However I haven't had my estrogen/estradiol levels checked - would that be advisable?
Obviously I am really freaking out right now, I can't believe how quickly and painfully this is happening, and I don't understand what is causing this. I went to see my doctor and they told me to stop all medication, so I did that, but that was 3 days ago and the pain is still really bad, my nipples have swollen noticeably and feel like they're going to explode.

What can I do? Is there ANY supplement or tablet I can take to try and counter this? Can gyno ever reverse naturally? Is it worth considering aromatase inhibitors or SERMS? Or is surgery the only option? I can't believe I could be this unlucky...aggressive gyno from just 2 weeks on a low dose anti-depressant...or 4 days of low dose sulfasalazine? I don't know how those things could have caused such an extreme reaction.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Linkback: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=31107.0

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
The medication might not be related to your breast changes. It sounds like you should see an endocrinologist who can order the right test to make sure there are not any other reasons.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024