Author Topic: Quick Post Op Question  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Zifnab

• Posting Member
Hi there Doctors,
I recently got my gynecomastia surgery done by a very skilled and respected surgeon in Canada (Dr Wayne Perron). The surgery was a bilateral excision without liposuction, and was for a relatively mild case. I'm just wondering if there is any reason to check with an endocrinologist to make sure there's no way for re-occurrence. I know i should have done this before the surgery, but I was pretty certain it was from puberty. Of course I can't explicitly recall it from a decade ago, but I am positive it has been around for atleast ~4ish years (24 years old at the moment).
The only reason why i'm skeptical about my situation is because I believe it got worse as I lost more body fat (~12-14%) and gained a lot more chest muscle (bench of 275lb's). There was also some tenderness usually very periodically and rarely near the nipple area (possibly after a workout).
Is there any reason to be concerned and week an expert in checking any hormonal imbalances?
Thank you.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No harm in going to an endocrinologist now -- but understand this is just for your own head, your own reassurance.  Your history is consistent with pubertal gyne -- and usually at age 24, your hormones have settled down into a steady state.

It is very common for weight loss and muscle growth to make gyne look even worse.  Glad that you went to a reputable surgeon.  Be patient while awaiting the final result -- it will take months.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Hi there Doctors,
I recently got my gynecomastia surgery done by a very skilled and respected surgeon in Canada (Dr Wayne Perron). The surgery was a bilateral excision without liposuction, and was for a relatively mild case. I'm just wondering if there is any reason to check with an endocrinologist to make sure there's no way for re-occurrence. I know i should have done this before the surgery, but I was pretty certain it was from puberty. Of course I can't explicitly recall it from a decade ago, but I am positive it has been around for atleast ~4ish years (24 years old at the moment).
The only reason why i'm skeptical about my situation is because I believe it got worse as I lost more body fat (~12-14%) and gained a lot more chest muscle (bench of 275lb's). There was also some tenderness usually very periodically and rarely near the nipple area (possibly after a workout).
Is there any reason to be concerned and week an expert in checking any hormonal imbalances?
Thank you.
The glandular component typically becomes more noticeable as you thin down. I see this phenomenon frequently with my bodybuilder patients. Adding more muscle bulk while thinning down also makes the glandular component more visible.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Zifnab

• Posting Member
Hi there Doctors,
Thank you.
The glandular component typically becomes more noticeable as you thin down. I see this phenomenon frequently with my bodybuilder patients. Adding more muscle bulk while thinning down also makes the glandular component more visible.

Is it normal to sometimes have a brief duration of tenderness near the areola/breast area? Normally no longer than 30 seconds, and generally only on quite rare occasions. The area was definitly not sensitive to touch nor to grab, the brief tenderness came on it's own. Hopefully it's not an indicator of active/growing gynecoamstia?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
After surgery it is normal to have some strange sensations in the area of the surgery for as long as one year.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024