Author Topic: Scheduled for Surgery - Question about General Anesthesia  (Read 2992 times)

Offline andy_v800

• Posting Member
Hi everyone,
I am very scared here. Not because of the surgery alone, but from the sleeping meds that they will give me to put me under.
I am scheduled to go under in 5 weeks from now for gynecomastia.  I had a consultation with my surgeon and I asked him what type of drugs will be given to put me to sleep. His answer was Propofol and Fentanyl. And of course, local anesthetic solution as well.I find this method to be too extreme. Although, I do have an extreme case of Gyno. But still, I find these medications to be too extreme. I am a bit concerned that I will never wake up as I read that breathing will stop and oxygen will be given by a manual pump. Very scary.
Has anyone find this to be too extreme, or does anyone here had experience with these types of general anesthetic medications?
Can I request a more lighter sleep on the day of the surgery like Twilight Sleep?
Another question, slightly off topic.  Is the whole entire experience like if I were to close my eyes for 10 seconds and then opening them up, is that how the surgery experience will feel? I heard that most clients had been taken into the post-op recovery room without even knowing that the surgery was done or not. So is it like closing my eyes for a few seconds and then opening them up again? Is that what it feels like?

Thanks for the support in advance!

hammer

Your getting yourself work up over nothing! I've had a total of 8 surgeries 5 of them under general. They were 3 back surgeries and 2 knee replacements, so they were much longer sugeries one lasting 9 hours!

While you're in surgery you will be in the hands of a well oiled team that work well together all having a part in your care. They will have someone who's job will be just to monitor your breathing and vitals, the entire time you're on the table.

After that while you are in recovery you will also be monitored until you wake up, and not released until you/they have your pain at a comfortable stag.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
Bob

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
What you are describing is basically "twilight sleep,"  technically called "conscious sedation."  It is NOT general anesthesia.  This is my preferred method -- the patient is sleeping gently and breathing on his own.  No tube down your throat -- just a bit of oxygen through the nostrils.  It is very very safe -- assuming you have an expert anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist administering the medications.

Relax -- many patients think that the anesthesia is the best part of the procedure!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

hammer

I guess my thinking was wrong on the type of knock out this was doc! Thanks for clearing that up! 

Offline andy_v800

• Posting Member
So what is the actual effect of the anesthesia?
Would it be like closing my eyes for a few seconds and then opening them up?
Like I wrote, I read from clients that it felt like that the surgery have not been performed until they looked down at their chest and realizing that it is all bandaged up and stuff.

My clinic has an obligatory standard to keep clients ONE night to recover, so I will be in good hands.

I am happy that I made this decision as it is a mental torture for me all my life. Think its time to stop worrying and get it over with. It will indeed change the way I live.
As they say  >>> No Pain - No Gain

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You will be sleeping gently with your eyes closed, unaware of your surroundings or the passage of time and you will have no pain.  The medications have an effect to make time seemingly "collapse"  so when you wake up after surgery, it will seem as if you had closed your eyes only a minute earlier.

Enjoy the ride -- and hope the surgery goes very well for you.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024