Author Topic: What "excuses" have you given for hiding your surgery  (Read 5039 times)

Offline neorabbit

The big day is coming up this summer and I don't know what to say to my coworkers, friends, and family that dont know I'm dealing with this. I'm going to take a few vacation days for healing and surgery. I don't even know how to bring it up to the person picking me up from the hospital. I avoided joining the intramural teams this summer because of it and it's kind of a bummer but it is what it is.

Have any of you ever had to make up something like a shoulder surgery or something so that you don't have to explain something embarrassing like getting gyneocomastia surgery? For some background, I work in an office where I mostly sit in front of a computer all day

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Years ago someone came up with the best response ever.   
He said: "I had a growth removed from my chest,  Not malignant fortunately.  Thanks for your concern." 
That response was misleading, but actually it was totally accurate.  Since it was the truth it is not something that can ever haunt him.   No repercussions about lying to get off work,  No problems at all. 
Don't lie.   Adorn the truth a bit if you feel you need to, but not to the point of telling a lie. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline iamanxiousaftersurgery

• Posting Member
I saw in a youtube video where scar tissue removal also involved wearing a compression vest. So, I told people that it was that. Only my flatmate who came with me to the surgery knew the truth and I told him because he also has gynecomastia.

Offline Tyler2

• Posting Member
I am going through a similar situation. I only have a select few people that actually know, and I doubt I would put it on social media. Part of it is that I think others see plastic surgery as vein, and that it wasn't that bad to begin with. While i probable won't post to social media until 1 year post op of the scars, I know who I can trust to tell and most of them have had postiive responses. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024