Author Topic: Skin adhesion/tethering, scar tissue, and crater deformity  (Read 3365 times)

Offline westcoaster

I'd been suffering from teenage gynecomastia since age 14 (am now 28) and have had lipo and excision 6 weeks ago with a local plastic surgeon with ample experience in gyne surgery and a good track record and many happy patients even on this board. With every day that passes I get a little more frustrated with my current condition especially because at the last two follow-ups, he spent maybe a minute if even with me telling me that everything looks good. The second visit he didn't even remember my name correctly.
I wore the compression garment religiously for 5 weeks and kept my arms at my side for the first two weeks with no overhead movements, which I now regret as it may have contributed to the tethering.

From perusing this forum I got the gist that once you have a crater deformity and tethering it's unlikely to resolve itself and will most likely require revision at 6+ months post-op, which seems to be the earliest point at which corrective actions can be taken. My surgeon told me he removed a lot of tissue, which I believe. Extending from and to the nipple, there is a hard mass/knob in my right chest, which feels an awful lot like gland tissue. This is toward the center of the chest. I can somewhat feel the same in my right chest also toward the separation of the two pec muscles. I am hoping it is scar tissue. 

Do you think there's going to be any improvement between now and my next followup at the beginning of May? What would you typically advise?
Here is my story in pictures:
Before:

3 days post op, first time I removed the compression garment and pads to rinse. Lots of bruising and swelling, wondering why right side is so much bigger still but blaming it on swelling

Same day, 3 days post op

Today, April 8, 2016 at 6 weeks post op:

Today, when I flex:

Right arm stretch, nipple is stuck and crater shows

Left arm stretch

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Hang in there. It is still early. Massage like crazy especially all around the edges. If it persists I suspect that just a little liposuction will improve the problem.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with Dr. Shuster.  I have my patients massage their chest specifically to avoid skin tethering and scar restricting motion and so on.  With time, the appearance and the tethering will improve, and hopefully that will be enough to alleviate your concerns.  
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024