Author Topic: Armpit Incision Scar fade time..?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline bobby123

Hello Dr's,
I had surgery about 6 months ago and had an armpit incision. The scars are still pretty red (and they are also raised slightly...i'd call it bumpy) and I have been using Biocorneum+ for almost 3 months now. These scars concern me because even though my gynecomastia is healed and I look great with shirts I couldn't wear before, I don't feel comfortable now taking off my shirt because of the scars.

My doctor offered me IPL laser.

I have been exposed to sunlight once in which I didn't put on any sunscreen for about 4-5 hours. However, after that time I have put on sunscreen over the scar every time I went out.

I'm just concerned because Biocorneum+ doesn't seem to have faded it out like some before/after photos of other people using it. Are there any thoughts on what I should do? Should I wait 1-2 more months or maybe even half a year until I get the laser treatment from my Dr. or should I go ASAP? 
Thank you!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If the scars are raised or thickened, perhaps a small injection of cortisone might be of help -- ask your surgeon about that.   Biocorneum doesn't help the color -- it's only job is to try to make the scar heal flat and flush with the skin -- but it is not infallible.

The color is a different story.  Usually scars fade within 6-12 months, but this may depend on your genetic heritage and your own individual healing properties.  Exposure to the sun can also prolong redness -- that is why sunblock is so important.

Ultimately, the scars should fade -- with time or perhaps with an IPL or other laser treatment.

You say you gyne result is good -- that is the most important fact.  Would not preoccupy oneself about the scar -- it too will get better over time.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Great news to hear you are pleased with the outcome of your gyne surgery.  
Regarding your concern about the appearance of your armpit scars - Scars do continue to improve over time, however it's hard to know just how much. If the scars are raised, ask your doctor about a Kenalog injection.  In terms of the redness, it's imperative you keep sunscreen on the scars at all times when outdoors. It's not unreasonable to consider IPL as your surgeon suggested. This could help reduce the redness. IPL will usually require a series of treatments for maximum effectiveness. 
Keep us updated on what you decide to do and if it helps.
Dr. Cruise 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Generally, the armpit incisions are quite small and hidden in a skin fold, so although you are aware of them, other people shouldn't be, even if they are still a bit pink and raised. If you're feeling very self conscious about them, you could apply some cover-up make-up to hide them until they fade better.  It can take a while--even a year or longer--for scars to fade, depending on your genetics and healing. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024