Author Topic: More than 1 year right nipple gyno and coming to left  (Read 1884 times)

Offline JavierAA

Hello
I have a gynecomastia on my right nipple since June-July 2015, secondary to the use of anabolic steroids (however it appeared several months before I stopped using them). At first it was small and not very painful but I think it has grown and it is quite painful now. 
I regularly touch my nipplus and a few days ago I realised I have a lump on my left nipple which is quite painful too. I haven't been using any steroids since last year and I don't understand why it is happening now. 
I'm going to have a couple of appointment with cosmetic surgeons but first of all I wanted to ask some questions to be prepared to see them.
Is it normal that a lump has just recently appeared after all that time? 
Is it common to be that painful? Sometimes it is uncomfortable to lay on my chest on bed...
I'm quite thin, 180cm tall and 68kg with pretty low body mass so I guess there is not fat involved. I was wondering if a total removal of my glands would be possible. I have read it's not advisable but I've also seen videos where it is done.
And please I know the pros and cons of steroids so I beg you leave that topic apart. 
Thank you very much to all the professionals here who take some time to answer so many questions from the community. 

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Hello
I have a gynecomastia on my right nipple since June-July 2015, secondary to the use of anabolic steroids (however it appeared several months before I stopped using them). At first it was small and not very painful but I think it has grown and it is quite painful now.
I regularly touch my nipplus and a few days ago I realised I have a lump on my left nipple which is quite painful too. I haven't been using any steroids since last year and I don't understand why it is happening now.
I'm going to have a couple of appointment with cosmetic surgeons but first of all I wanted to ask some questions to be prepared to see them.
Is it normal that a lump has just recently appeared after all that time?
Is it common to be that painful? Sometimes it is uncomfortable to lay on my chest on bed...
I'm quite thin, 180cm tall and 68kg with pretty low body mass so I guess there is not fat involved. I was wondering if a total removal of my glands would be possible. I have read it's not advisable but I've also seen videos where it is done.
And please I know the pros and cons of steroids so I beg you leave that topic apart.
Thank you very much to all the professionals here who take some time to answer so many questions from the community.
Anabolic steroids can cause glandular tissue to increase.Once there is glandular tissue as a result of steroids it is typically painful and does not improve without surgery. The time line between ingestion and to presentation is variable. There are additional causes of unilateral masses and they should be ruled out as well. There is glandular tissue in the nipple so to remove 100% of glandular tissue requires nipple removal that is rarely advisable.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Glandular enlargement that is from steroid use is usually very dense and frequently painful. Correction should include removal of 99% of the gland, leaving just a thin disk of tissue beneath the nipple-areola complex. Good luck.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Many of my patients develop gynecomastia from steroid and pro-hormone use, and the timing of presentation and the events surrounding it are quite variable.  Because of the complexity of the hormonal axis and its regulation, it's not surprising that this variability occurs.  Even with hormonal testing, patients present after a year or two of abstinence from further steroid use, and they may have normal levels but still be experiencing changes in their chest.  Often, I've found these changes related to increased body fat, rather than ongoing glandular proliferation, since patients may be frustrated by their chest appearance compelling them to cut back on workouts (while continuing to eat at levels more suited to when they were training) and leading to decreased caloric burn and increased body fat.  In other cases, the gland continues to grow or at least be painful, and only surgery seems to resolve the situation.  As pointed out, there is always a little residual gland left behind in order to preserve the nipple/areolar complex, and although this can be very minimal, ongoing stimulation by further steroid use can lead to recurrence.  
Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery